First baby. What about furniture?

This is our first baby and we are fortunately getting great hand me down clothes from friends already and we have nowhere to put them.We want to buy a dresser or something to start organizing baby's stuff but I don't want to just buy something and wish we had bought something else. We don't know if we will have a nursery room yet because my brother in law lives with us but he says he's moving out before the baby comes. my husband says we can find a used dresser and paint it but I want to know what other people have bought. Does this make sense?

novemberbaby14

Asked by novemberbaby14 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• We bought some upper end Storkcraft furniture for our baby girl on the way. It's really high quality and solid. We love it!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I had a cabinet already and put his stuff in it. LOL I didn't buy anything else really, hung his clothes in the closet.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We bought furniture that grows with your child--a convertible crib that turns into a daybed and then a full/queen sized bed. And we bought adult sized dressers--but only filled the lower drawers that they could reach. We selected a dark mahogany color which looks great with whatever bedding you select and whether you have a boy or girl.

You can easily paint, repaint a used dresser or bed frame, and add new pulls/hardware. and you can save a TON of money buying unfinished furniture--check online for local unfinished furniture showrooms. You could also just use a couple of the drawers in your dressers for now--until you figure out your living/nursery situation.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you aren't ready to buy a dresser, buy some large wicker baskets and put the clothes in them and store them under the crib. That worked for me until we found a dresser we liked.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I bought a crib that had three drawers attatched to it so that is what I used at first. I wont buy a dresser until I move my child into a toddler bed until then I use the crib drawers plus I bought a plastic drawer thingy from target. That will do for now.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 1:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I frankly just prefer closets. I don't like dressers, I like to look at the clothes before I pick out which ones.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We bought used furniture. We have a dresser with hutch, dresser and changing table combo and crib. I love having so much storage space! But I don't think you NEED it. Getting a used dresser and painting it or wahtever should be just fine!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I got a crib changing table and dresser at a garage sale ( my aunt was good friends with the woman) for 50.00. I didn't use either. My daughter wouldn't sleep in the crib. i tried. she would wake up as soon as i put her down. and i just changed her on the floor. or couch or bed. where ever we were.
    jdickey80

Answer by jdickey80 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010