What are things your kids like to do for long car rides?

This will be the first long car ride my daughter will ever take, its about a 6 and half hour drive. I'm just trying to think up things she can do well in the car for that long.

SarahLouise508

Asked by SarahLouise508 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Travel

• The alphabet game. Find something that starts with each letter. Has to be outside the car. Then we look for license plates from each state. Its a summer long contest. Whomever gets the most, wins a treat from the Dairy Queen.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I printed many games, coloring sheets and puzzles and organized them into a binder, I bought little cheap travel games, game boy, CD player...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son loves his Leapster! He also has a portable DVD player and likes to play I-SPY and listen to music. Other than that, he takes his favorite toys and plays with them in the car.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It depends on how old she is.
    My son was one when we took our road trip from Michigan to Arizona. He had a learning laptop, a dog that sang what-not when you pressed its paws, and another musical toy. He slept most of the way, so I didn't get anything too exciting for him. I did bring books, coloring pages, and other things for him to do. He never used them though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We let our 7 & 10 yr. old bring about 5 toys from their room (small ones) and pack in each their box/bag.

We play "I spy" ( I like the alfabet game Lifes-a-Dance mentioned, will have to keep that in mind)

And then we listen to music, we all enjoy that the most :)

We don't use books or activity books because it tend to make them car sick :(

Have a great trip !!!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 2:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We drive from WA to TX quite often, and it's a 33 hour drive if you drive non stop. Our kids are 6, 13, and 11. The first time we made the drive they were 16 months, 8, and 6. On that ride they watched dvds (we have the in-car dvd system), colored, read books, etc. The next time, they did basically the same thing. This time we have a power inverter for the car so they can bring their xbox and plug it in to the tv with the dvd system. We also have bought travel games. I recommend travel Sorry.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We play the alphabet game. We'll do a category like names, movie stars, sports stars, etc.. But my 4 year old can just say any word that begins with that letter. Even my 15 year old likes this game. You can also name a few things - a motorcycle, a blue truck, a helicopter, a green VW bug. The first person to find these things gets a point.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• MY KIDS like to fight and scream at each other when we are on a long car trip...sigh. So you are lucky you only have one, lol. A DVD player is a big hit, esp when you only have one child, then she can watch any movie she wants without someone else pitching a fit. Coloring and dolls work for my daughter too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• DVD player, Leapster, coloring books, books to read, DD loves playing the "guess the ____ " game.
    You can make it what you want.

Sometimes it's guess the character...one person picks a character from a movie..then it's like 20 questions.

Or it's reversed...you pick a food or a fruit and then start giving clues to it, thinking creatively. "I'm thinking of something orange..."

I spy

We got through a 12 hour car ride with all of this and no DVD player (she didn't even use her DS)....12 hours each way, mind you..with these games and what I've listed when she was 5.
    anxiousschk

Answer by anxiousschk at 11:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• What I done was to get library books to keep them entertained.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010