I want to hire her but...

she wears too much make-up. She'd be hired as a receptionist so her appearance is very important. How can I tell he w/o sounding mean?

Otherwise I'll continue my search

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• You should write up an official dress code that all employees must follow, and tell her that while you personally like her make-up, it is prohibited by the company's policy.

I wear a lot of make-up but I would totally take it off it it meant I would not get a job.
    MissyKing

Answer by MissyKing at 2:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Tell her, that her uniform includes her makeup and that you can only wear earthtones. Basically its a nice way and LEGAL way of saying- Don't look like a pornstar when you come to work.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 2:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would tell her just like it is... if you really want to hire her...tell her how much you like her but she has to tone down the make up a bit.That it doesn't fit with the job to wear too much.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• just ask her to tone it down a bit
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Be honest, in a polite way.

Ask her to tone it down, she might be willing to while she is at work.
    Just let her know you are very interested in having her work for you but you were hoping she would tone down a little on the make up.
    You might lose a great receptionist by not asking. :) IF she gets mad at your request or mean then you don't want to hire her anyway.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• What MissyKing said, and make sure you tell her she is the best for the job, and ask if it would be a problem for her to tone down the make-up.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 2:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• just tell here that she need to look professional light make up and nice clothes bc its a professional work area..
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• So what if she wears too much makeup? Does she look like a clown? Obviously she's qualified for the job other than your problem with her makeup. I think it shows that she is attentive to her appearance. I say Hire her! Put her on probation for a few weeks and get to know her. If she does her job well than that is what is important. Don't insult the poor girl who needs the job.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Tell her this

"You are a very beautiful woman & i don't think you need much makeup to show off your beauty. If you don't mind toning down the makeup, i would really appreciate it" Or something like that.

Definitely throw in the "your're pretty" part so that you don't totally make her feel stupid. Some peopel are so insecure in themsleves that they feel they need to hide their face in make up. I think it's unattractive.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with MissyKing. Make your employee handbook VERY specific--addressing ALL of the aspects that CAN be a problem--such as visible piercings, tattoos, jewelry, skirt length, and what is considered professional attire (hosiery, no sleeveless or sheer shirts/tops, proper undergarments, no flip flops, etc.

I was a regional HR Director for a large 5 star hotel chain, and the appearance section of our employee handbook was 22 pages long--addressing EVERYTHING that both men and women had to abide by!!! Part of my job was to write people up and fire them if they broke those rules. In some businesses, image IS everything!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010