How to get a 9 year old to apply sunscreen properly?

My son has to put on his own suncreen at camp and he is apparently doing a poor job of it because his nose and face keep getting burned. We talk about it daily, but he keeps forgetting or rubbing it off.

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 2:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Your son will live and learn. Hopefully, it does not take sun poison for him to do that. You think the pain from sun burn would get him. Boys are diffrent anyway, they rarely focus on the lotion thing.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• show him a picture of someone that got something horrible in his face for not using sunscreen...
    so he can remeber that if he doesn't apply his sunscreen properly he will be like the guy in the picture.
    Sofiah

Answer by Sofiah at 2:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Make a song or catchy poem so that he gets all his parts. Even if he sings it to himself he will remember. Works for us with other things... Or make a word up that has what he forgets to get and then repeat the word. something like SNEAL - Shoulders Nose Ears Arms Legs
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 2:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I bought a bunch of the spray sun screen...my daughter is 10 and rolls her eyes but it's easier this way because her friends think it's "cool" to spray eachother...good luck.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 2:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• A young boy? Oh boy, you have to make it fun. How about putting it in a squirt gun! LOL! I would buy him that colored stuff. I am sure he will have fun with that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son hates putting on sunscreen.
    He tries to run away from me when I try to put it on him (thats when I even remeber to anymore,lol)
    Anyway..I just showed him yesturday a trick to do. I had him put a dallop in the palm os his hand then dip his finger in it to put dots all over his face...on his nose...on his cheeks,chin,forehead and then to rub it in the best he can and then to do the same thing for his arms and legs...start with dots in scattered places..he can even make a dot game out of it and then rub it in.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Do it for him before he leaves?
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I give my dd the stick kind..looks like a glue stick and it is for the face. the spray kind is good fo rthe body but he would have to spray a friend and let a friend spray him. The spray doesnt last long so send a few bottles.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I get the colored sun block, goes on blue to show where you put it. The stuff in the spray can doesn't last very long at all and is really expensive.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2010