who has used the mini pill? (progestin only) did you get pregnant?

i know if you have sex, you can get pregnant but i'm just wanting to hear from moms who have successfully used the mini pill, or unsuccessfully used it!!! the effectiveness is listed as 87-99.7%. i am breastfeeding but also formula feeding & pumping (medical reasons--preemie baby) so i'm not counting on the BFing keeping me from getting pregnant at all.

so how long were you on it? did you get pregnant? did you use other BC methods too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was on the mini pill the entire time I pumped for my son (13 months) and never got pregnant. Once I stopped pumping though, the periods were awful and my mood swings were all over the place. I can't take the regular pills due to blood clotting so I really had no choice but to stay on the mini pill. I got pregnant with my 2nd child as soon as I came off of the mini pill, and I'm back on them again because I'm breastfeeding her. We don't use any type of back up method. The main thing with the mini pill is that you have to take them at the same time every day for them to be effective. I think you have maybe a 2 hour window, but if you completely skip it, you could get pregnant, which is why their effective rate is lower. In general, I hate the mini pills, but my milk supply is way too important so I'll suffer on them until we get the all clear from DH's urologist that his vasectomy was successful. :)
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I was on the mini pill after I had my son, took them at the same time everyday and I got pregnant when he was 9 months old.

Answer by missanc at 3:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• ive been on it 4 months and still nursing and we havent gotten pregnant yet (knock on wood) not that we have a lot of alone time to do such things lol! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010