How can I get my little one to drink water??

My DS will not drink water unless he gets it our of my cup. He is 13 mo and drinks out of a sippy cup but when I fill it w/ water the minute it hits his lips he throws the cup. Really did not want him to start on juice before I got him to take water. Any suggestions??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give it to him in a regular cup.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• mine only wants to drink water if it comes from a bubbler (water fountain)
    almost worth putting one in the house!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Try a little sugar in it or try a fun twirlly straw....that worked for my boys
    CafeMom732

Answer by CafeMom732 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When you find out let me know please!!
    momtotwins

Answer by momtotwins at 2:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• hmmmm...when i encouraged my kids to drink water...(some of them still dont) but it was fun when i got my daughter a water bottle and those ice cubes that are those fun plastic pieces that are in shapes of a lemon and cubes, i think there are little animal shaped ice cubes too, she thought it was cute to put them in her water bottle filled with water.

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Ice did the trick for my son. "Ice water" is much more fun and tasty than "water" apparently. Also, I know some people put a little splash of fruit juice in water so their kids will like it better.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 2:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Keep offering it. Offer it in a regular cup whenever you can. Try not to flavor it yet, let him get used to the flavor of plain water. my kids never drank it in a sippy, but will drink it out of a regular cup all day. Add ice, like a pp said. Eventually, he'll be used to it! Good for you not offering juice. They really don't need it as whole fruits are better (not all the fiber is squeezed out!). I didn't give juice to my 1st til 1 1/2 and he has no taste for it and prefers milk or water. Gave it to my youngest b/c of constipation when she was younger (as advised by ped, didn't want me to give her any medication for it) and she loves it more than I would like. I keep limited amounts so its easier to say no, but she definitely prefers the sweet flavors.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Different sippies, the straw kind, may help. If he's willing to drink it out of your glass just help him drink out of a regular glass. You said you don't want to go to juice yet, but if it's your plan to give it to him, you could pour in just an ounce of juice and fill the cup with water so at least it tastes like juice.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Mine won't drink plain water out of her sippy either.(16 months)
    She will drink it out of a water fountain but thats about it,lol.
    I started putting about 75% water to about 25% juice in her cups and she drinks it up,
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010