Cut Medicare benefits or raise the age you can get SS?

Ok, we know both of these will be mentioned and probably done but if you had to choose which do you think is better and why?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I actually liked Sweet's answer better than my answer! This is the reality we are facing if we want to save the SS system. The population of the oldest-old is growing quickly, and life expectancy has been increasing. I would say that it is better to raise the retirement age by about two years, but still allow people to retire earlier with a slight reduction in benefits. Cutting Medicare would be devastating in the short-term for many people.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Save the OLD folks, CUT the politicians benefits!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When the social security program was established, longevity was MUCH lower and diseases that can be treated were in their infancy, so people weren't expected to live long once they were able to collect. Medical science and healthy initiatives and education are primarily responsible to increasing our life expectancy to around 80--that's 23+ years of being able to collect from the social security system!

With a MASSIVE increase of baby boomers preparing to retire and being added to the social security payroll, the system is going to tip over and implode with too many people collecting, and not enough income/taxes being generated!

Raising the minimum retirement age will cut down on the number of people able to collect, and for a less amount of time. That, and deporting all illegals who are fraudulently collecting such benefits, thereby freeing up hundreds of millions of dollars for AMERICAN CITIZENS!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Do you have a lnk for the statement you made about "Illegals receiving Social Security benefits" ? I suppose some have stolen social security numbers but....is it really so much that they will drain the SS system? I think not.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Having people in the workforce for more years, decreases the available positions for young, educated workers. In many industries, it's both impractical and unsafe to employ aged individuals. Many 20 somethings are not born with a silver spoon and need to secure gainful employment or risk homelessness. How cruel and simultaneously selfish to make oldsters work until death while preventing the young from securing needed employment.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• OOPS! I meant to say 13+ years!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Since the govt collects BILLIONS from "Illegals" .......in TAXES!!

Ya know many actually PAY into the syttem and take NOTHING out.....You can GOOGLE IT

I am not for raising the ss age....

Work til ya DIE if your POOR is basically what is happening

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• That is what I have read too....Illegals pay but they don't collect.......The gripe against Illegals is blown out of proportion. There might be a huge amount of crime in Arizona but who is to say that the criminals are all illegals? I bet the citizens --the residents of the southwest who sell drugs are more likely to be committing crimes. And it has been that way for decades....since drugs started being smuggled from The Far East and Vietnam in the early 1960's.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My answer...neither.
    gertie41

• Since I am one of those oldest-old people on medicare plus private insurance (medicare does not pay that good)

I will stay out of this one and let you younger ladies decide my fate.

Do I stay retired or do I go back to work?

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010