Developmental Markers for a 16 MO?

Hey all,

I was just wondering what the developmental markers for a 16 month old are. What should they be doing, saying, or trying to do? Signs they are ahead, or behind?

Thanks!

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 2:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am in the same boat! Hope you get some good answers here!
    CHICK106

Answer by CHICK106 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• They should be walking and saying at least a few words. My kids were so different one walked all the time unassisted at 10 months while another was 15 months. One said several words before a year another was 2 1/2 before he said his first word. They are all in elementary school now and doing great.

The most important thing is that they understand and respond to what you are saying.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Mine walks and runs no problem. She also knows a few words; I guess as a first time parent I can't help but wonder if I am doing everything okay.

What kinds of activities does a 16 mo do? What kinds keep their attention span levelled?
    OmbreGracieuse

Comment by OmbreGracieuse (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• As far as activities it really depends on the child and what their interests are. My 20 month old LOVES puzzles - wooden ones are easiest for them to handle - and he will sit and work on various puzzles for a long time. He also loves to go outside and just walk around, looking at different things - I give him the words for the things he finds (dandelions, acorns, pine cones, etc.). And he loves his sister's play kitchen and will spend a long time putting things in/out of the oven, refrigerator, "stirring" the pots, etc.

Answer by missanc at 3:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010