What is the general feeling about scheduled C-sections? (with or with a complication)

lillyjohnson11

Asked by lillyjohnson11 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think c-sections should be reserved as a medical necessity where either the child or mother is at risk.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• C-sections are a major surgery and are unnecessary unless baby or moms life is in danger. Scheduled c-sections are more about convienience for mom or doctor and are upping the medical costs of the nation.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with the first two.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• C-sections are way overused and should be reserved only for extreme cases. They have become routine, I believe, mainly for the convenience of the doctors. Recovery takes longer, bonding between mom and baby takes longer, and I believe there are psychological and emotional problems also as a result. I would not submit to one unless it could be proven that there was danger to the baby or to my health. Same goes for induction, which inevitably leads to more c-sections.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I loved mine. It was great knowing exactly when it would happen. I had another child, so I needed someone to watch him. We had my sister sleep over the night before. I liked knowing that all I had to do was lie there. Someone else would take care of everything. I loved 4 days in the hospital. That was the best part. We really bonded and got very good at nursing during that time. My recovery was about the same as the vaginal birth I had. When I had my 3rd, I chose a c-section. That one was a much speedier recovery. I was up the next day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think C sections should only be used when there is an absolute medical necessity. I hate to hear about moms that schedule C sections because they are scared of labor, or don't want to go overdue or whatever.. Pregnancy is not meant to be easy, nor pain free.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I've had both... the first was an emergency after my daughter died in utero and my body began shutting down after 3 days of no progression after induction. Due to her body deteriorating inside mine I had a uterine infection that began spreading throughout my body.
    My last pregnancy landed me on complete bed rest for 6 months due to hypertension ( dx during the adoption process for our middle dd), GD and Pre-E. With a history of stillbirth and all of my other issues, I decided on a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks if possible. Unfortunately, my body rebelled and dd #3 was an early c-section at 34 weeks. I recovered much faster with my last c-section than my first one.... 3 days and I was walking upright, driving and my OB was astounded at how quickly I was able to move around. I was completely fine within a week. Honestly, I enjoyed my c-sections...I'm abnormal though. LOL
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• in my town you have to have repeated c sections, you cant have vbacs. I understand the risk of vbacs, but I hate the idea of the doctor being in charge of the birthday of the baby. And repeated c sections arent exactly safe either. I think I might be pregnant and I am excited...nervous, but excited. I really want a natural birth with my next one, but by law, I cannot. it has to be a c section. I dont feel as empowered as I did with my first because of the limitations.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i think it is healthiest to have a vaginal birth in at least 95% of births. in the minority of cases when c-section is necessary, i think it would be best to not be scheduled, and for it to happen after labor begins on its own. of course there would be some cases, where it would have to be before labor began on its own.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I had 3 vaginal birth (my 3rd was induced early) and then had a csection - I apparently have a very small pelvis and tend to have larger babies. My first one got stuck in my birth canal and they had to break his collar bone to get him out. Not wanting to go through that again, the drs do not want me going over my due date. So my 4th was a schedule C and my 5th is scheduled for Friday. There are some cases where C's are necessary and I'm glad that they are widely available. My c-section was MUCH easier to recover from than the trauma of my first birth!

Answer by missanc at 3:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010