nap or timeout

My dd is going through a rough time right now moving aI started working when I've been a sahm ect.... But I cannot let her turn into a kid that doesn't listen and gives me attitude. Before all I had to do was give her a stern look and she would listen to me. Today when it was time for nap she told me no (which is not a first) I usually try to remind her of something fun that we will do when she wakes up like go to the park but she has to take a nap first. Today she spit in my face three times I threatned her that there would be no special treat today she said I don't want one and tried to get out of bed again. I told her I would take away her favorite stuffed cat if she didn't listen. She then cried and went to sleep but I feel awful I don't want her to go to bed that way and if I put her in timeout it's like she's winning by getting out of bed. Did I handle this ok ? Would you have done timeout instead? She is almost 3.

mermaid59

Asked by mermaid59 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would have spanked her butt and told her that Mommy says it's time for a nap. Better establish now that you are in authority or you will have more serious problems down the road. And spitting in your face? No way would that have been allowed in my home. That is not only disrespectful; it is outright defiant. And you can probably expect it to happen again since you didn't make there to be very serious consequences for it the first time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would have done a timeout and then put her to bed. I don't use bed/naps as a punishment.

I also wouldn't tell her that we will do something 'fun' when she gets up as it bribery and she should know that she has to take a nap because I say so and not because it's a requirement of an activity.

Have you thought that she may be outgrowing naps? Somedays, we just lay quietly for a movie instead of a nap and most times she falls asleep anyway but if not, at least she is quiet. Oh, and the movie goes off if she can't be quiet or lay still.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• At her age, time out would probably have worked a little better. I would have a talk with her about spitting and how ugly it is and that you will not tolerate it ever again. You kept your cool and that is always the best thing to do.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I let her know that is was not ok to spit in my face very very sternly and that was the first time she ever did it. Her cat is her most loved object she takes it everywhere it his her security and this usually works better then timeout . The nap was not a punishment she needed it and sometimes she doesn't need one but today was not one of those days. I never felt like I was bribeing her to take a nap it's just things I would normally do with her like art or go to the park . I was just trying to give her something to look forward to, to try to put a postive twist on nap time. Thanks for your comments
    mermaid59

Comment by mermaid59 (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Maybe you need to change the park to something else that she might enjoy doing. I don't believe in taking toys away from children unless they try to throw them at someone or so forth. I don't see how that makes her more receptive. As children get older they may not need a nap and she might be reaching that stage. When my children took naps, they stayed up later at night. You know your child better so I don't know about that part.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010