Ready for a Toddler spoon?

How old should your toddler be when they start learning to use a spoon by themselves? I am just not looking forward to the mess!!

CHICK106

Asked by CHICK106 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have been giving my daughter a spoon for about three months now, she is 14 months now. It is messy but it is very cute watching her try to use it. She does very well with filling it but turns the spoon upside down to scrape the food off with her bottom teeth. Thank goodness I have dogs to help clean up some of the mess. I will cover the floor with a towel or cloth and just suck it up. Your going to have messes weather you want it or not. I would not however give a fork unsupervised yet for a while. It is a poking hazard of eyes and such. Always take utensils away from child when done eatting before being put back on the floor so they don't hurt themselves with them. Laugh and enjoy watching your child learn another skill, break out the camera and get some great moments on film. xoxoxoxox
    bekmae777

Answer by bekmae777 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Invest in disposable dropcloths or table cloths to line the floor. The sooner you let them go at it, the quicker they pick up on being neat.

We started at 10-11 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son was around 9 months I think. Maybe younger. He asked for a spoon on his first birthday to eat his cake with. LOL He refused to touch the cake with his bare hand.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I honestly don't know. I say just start giving them a spoon and fork whenever you feed baby, or you end up with a 4 year old who still wants mommy and daddy to feed them, lol. That's how my first was. Learned my lesson with the next two.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Ever since I started feeding my children solids I have given them a spoon to hold onto while I fed them. They played with it and as they got older,they attempted using it. At about 14 months, my daughter had a pretty good idea of how it works. She's 16 months now and uses a spoon and fork pretty well. Still makes some mess! But she gets it onto the utensil and into her mouth.
    Throw down an old vinyl table cloth or tarp or sheet under the highchair. There have been times I've had to just undress her in the highchair and take her straight to the bathtub,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My 15 month old has been feeding himself with a spoon since he was about 12 months old. He does very well, but it is really messy. I think about 10-11 months is a good time to let them start trying, you just have to be really patient because it will take them a while and there is going to be lots of messes in the near future.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I always gave my daughter a spoon and fork starting at one. She never had much interest at first, but around 16 months she really started using them. On spaghetti days, we eat shirtless and bathe afterward. Other stuff isn't as bad.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My oldest is 2 1/2 and he still doesn't use a spoon that great, but he's getting the hang of it...he uses a fork great though
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We started teh twins at 12 months, they are 14 months now. Right now, I scoop "sticky" foods on to the spoon, and hand it to them to put in their mouth, they've really started to get the hang of it. WIth DS we can now guide his hand to the food and help him scoop. It's been messy and frustrating at times, but they're learning fast.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My 17 month old uses a regular spoon no mess.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2010