head start

Has anybody heard or enrolled their child in head start? If so please give your opinion. My son has gotten accepted. I'm a little iffy on enrolling him..thanks!

summerdaile

Asked by summerdaile at 3:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have had friends work for head start. I'm sure the progams differ from place to place. But overall it is a good program, especially if your child doesn't otherwise get a lot of peer interaction. It helps them across a broad spectrum. The adults teach things, but most importantly it teaches them structure or a schedule that they will need in a year or 2 when they begin school. It deffinately isn't bad for them. The positives outweigh any negative anyone would give me.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son went. No issues from it. He had fun.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My twins are in it. What kinds of things do you want to know? Here it's at the local elementary school. Last year (3yrs old) they went for 1 day a week. Next year they'll go 4 days a week. We had home visits once a week where a teacher would do activities with them for about an hour. I thought it was great and the kiddos love it!
    wildnwonderful

Answer by wildnwonderful at 3:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you cannot afford preschool otherwise, or your child has a developmental issue, it is a perfect fit. :) Preschool can be soo expensive and it is such an asset to a child to have the experience. Our local school system opened up preschool (sort of a an expanded head start) in our community. We did one semester then went to a private preschool. The program itself was great, but our teacher was fresh out of college, had 5 out of control kids of her own at home, and her classroom was a zoo. It was just too much chaos for my 3 yr old. But my friends who had their kids in the other teachers' rooms loved the program. 2 day a week preschool is a good fit for us, but the cirriculum was actually much better at the 5 day a week head start program
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• head start is federally funded, so all head starts follow the same guidelines and have the same educational requirements for teachers, so in theory they should all look the same

why are you iffy?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When I enrolled my daughter in pre-k they put her in head start half the day and pre-k the rest. I had nothing but good things to say :) though I didn't know they would do that.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'm going on the 9th to register my daughter! =)..but my oldest went to preschool already so I'm okay this time! lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Thanks. Its just I've googled some of the local places and there was not really any reviews but this one bad one. When I walked in the last time it was more disabled children. I have nothing against disabled. I think it would be good for him to work with handicapped people. But I'm also afraid it might push him back. he already doesn't want to learn anything now ya know?.. Idk what to think. I think I'm gonna enroll him and see how it goes. We have an appt Friday. Wish us luck!
    summerdaile

Comment by summerdaile (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I applied. I'm waiting to see if he got accepted. He'll get more help with his speech therapy if he's accepted.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Just enrolled my dd today and finish up paper work Tuesday the other "preschool" in my town was $360.00 a month and with my baby having to go to Children's hospital all the time we just can't make it work plus i think that's just a little outlandish but my dd is excited to go and

bree_gabys_mom

Answer by bree_gabys_mom at 11:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010