Career Opinion

I am a 42-year old self-employed business owner (insurance). I am currently finishing my Master of Science in Management Degree, and I will graduate in April 2011. My goal was to teach college courses, and to do so, you have to have at least a master's. However, in order to get tenure, you need a doctorate. Should I continue on and get my doctorate, or should I be satisfied with my master's? The insurance business is really tough right now, and I have a passion for education, training, and consulting. Any suggestions or career advice? I really want more job security as well.

Jakesmom623

Asked by Jakesmom623 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Is there any way you could teach and work on your doctorate? That's what a lot of my professors are doing right now.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• how will you fund your doctorate?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I could teach and work on my doctorate. I would have to still work while completing it. I would fund my doctorate with Student Loans. I don't like to, but I don't have a choice.
    Jakesmom623

Comment by Jakesmom623 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• IDK, for me personally, unless a doctorate would GUARANTEE me a job, and not just make me overqualified, I wouldn't do it in this economy
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have a suggestion for you that actually coincides with your current Employment and could fill all your baskets for you. I will message you.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would work on the doctorate while teaching; hopefully, you will be able to teach where you are studying and have reduced tuition.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Why not continue on for your doctorate while teaching. You're investing in yourself and your future while doing what you want to do. Sounds like a win/win.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 5:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010