What is the cost of living in Hawaii?

My hubby wants to live there. I lived there when I was little and I want to go back. We want out of Oklahoma so bad! What is the cost of living there. Im pretty sure the electric bill would be cheaper since there is no need for air conditioning or much heating. I am a photographer so I could find work but not sure what my hubby would do. I know its something I need to research a lot.

annamcg18

Asked by annamcg18 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have had several friends stationed there in the military. I also had a girlfriend who was going to do a year long missionary position there. The cost of living is very high from what I understand. My girlfriend said it would have been cheaper for family to buy her toiletries at home here and ship them to her, rather than buying them there!! Deffinately have to research it. I have no clue what pay wages are though to offset it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Google real estate rentals or homes for sale. I know real estate is high. The cost of living there is the same as living in NY. It's high compared to most of the country. You could find jobs at Hotels & restaurants. Call a Real Estate agent in Hawaii for info. Housing will be your highest cost.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yeah ok its way higher than oklahoma. I guess we are stuck here for now. We need to save up and move there later in life. They want 79k for a house that is 922sq ft. We bought our house for 40k and its got an acre of land, a work 300ft work shop, and 1200 sq ft house. It hot and humid here but man its cheap lol!
    annamcg18

Comment by annamcg18 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Its way expensive we went for vacation about 5 years ago and a box of cereal was $5.00 and milk was over $5.00 :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Compare Cities is a useful tool it will everything you need to know. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010