Flying with 2 year old?

At the end of this month, I will be taking my 2 yr old on his first flight. I don't want to lug around his heavy carseat so I was thinking about renting a CARES harness as an alternative. They look safe, and it would definitely give me peace of mind knowing that he is strapped in. What are some tips you can give me as far as making the flight a good one?

DevynsMomma

Asked by DevynsMomma at 3:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Travel

• Bring a DVD player if you can. Bring child friendly snacks and drinks (sprite, 7up and water). Preferably not juice because it can get hot in the plane and some kids puke when its hot and they have juice, same with milk. crayons and coloring books, small toys, stroller. Thats all I can think of. All of my kids have been on a plane and this is what we brought.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Wish I could help but I've not flown with DD. here's a bump
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I don't have any advice either, sorry! We haven't taken our son on a plane yet. I just wanted to say Best Wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you changing planes get to the next plane as quick as possible so you can recharge the DVD player and your child can run around in the lobby. If people are rude remind them you want him running around now and not screaming on the plane. SOme airports have carts to take small children on so you could check on that. Don't get frustrated if he is fussy on the plane everyone has been there and they will get over it. Good luck!!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I recommend getting a straight through flight if you can, if not one with as few layovers as possible. Snacks, drinks and entertainment are key. We flew a few times when our kids were toddlers and I always anticipated the worst and was pleasantly surprised when nothing bad happened. Take him potty or for diaper changes before you get on the plane because you just don't really want to deal with taking him into the tiny plane bathroom unless you really have to. There's barely room for one person, much less mom and kid. Plus it's scary, loud and bumpy in there. Then take him straight to the bathroom again as soon as you get off the plane. You can take your stroller right up to the gate and check it at the gate, they will put it right at the front of the baggage compartment and have it waiting for you when you get off the plane again, makes life easier if your little one is running all over in the airport.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010