Christians, how do you deal with an acquaintance who has hurt you by spreading lies?

I was told about these lies by two people who did not believe it to be true. I still have to see this worthless person and I am shaking and upset. What can I do? What will help? I sent a message for this person to stay far away from me but unfortunately, this is an unemployed person who doesn't have much to do during the day. I can't afford to move right now and these stories make me sick. Any help for me to find peace will be much appreciated.

LauraMi261

Asked by LauraMi261 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As with any other pain, time will heal it and this whole situation will pass. There really isn't much you can do. Just wait for her to find someone else to prey on. Those who really care about you will not believe things they know you are not capable of. I have had people do terrible things to me as well, thinking in the future it could affect my professional life, I just walked away. Never to have any contact with that person again. That was all that could be done.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• That's a tough one. Part of me would want to beat the crap out of them and ask forgiveness for it but the rational part of me says just ignore them and any idiot who believes what they say.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It's okay to be hurt - that's natural. Just let yourself hurt for a bit.

With regards to him, I'd just ignore him. Already two people have come to you to confirm his lies and you've been able to set them straight. They'll probably tell others that he's lying about you and word will get around. I'm sure people already know he's not trustworthy. So, you can't stop him spreading lies. But you can control how you react. Feel sorry for him, and move on.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 4:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Just because they are unemployed does not mean that they need to camp out with you during the day. You do NOT have to have a relationship with them. Let God take care of their issues and go on with your life.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I didn't see anything about them camping our or even hanging out....? Try and introduce them to the Lord. Maybe they will come around, but definitely forgive.

ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Its interesting that you are judging another person and calling them worthless when you are directing the question at christians, who believe no one is worthless if they have been created by God. But! It is hurtful what they are doing to you and in the end, the truth will come out. Keep your distance, live your life and let them continue on. It isn't any fun if they don't get a reaction from you. In the privacy of your home you can do what you have to, to help yourself make the change you need to make. Take care of yourself and move on. They are apparently a toxic part of your life and it would probably be best to move your life in a different direction. Just because they are unemployed it doesn't mean you need to be their friend.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• How do I deal with the pain that I am feeling? Please help here, unless this has never happened to you then I can understand.
    LauraMi261

Comment by LauraMi261 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You don't need to be around them, they don't live with you so you don't have to see or speak to them. I would wish them well and pray for them, but I would stay away.  If they come around be polite but excuse yourself and leave or just don't speak to them you already told this person why you are distancing yourself, that is enough.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Close the door on this, pray that God will help remove this person from your life and walk away or have face-to-face and find out why, but you may not like the answers you get. Pray!
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 3:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• This person is hanging around the neighborhood. I am supposed to avoid him? Just forget this happened? Seriously? Is this what you would really do? lalalalalala
    LauraMi261

Comment by LauraMi261 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010