How do I get my nine year old boy to think before he acts?

He doesn't really care to my for consequences and yes he is ADHD. So maybe some help on how to guide him better?

lillyjohnson11

Asked by lillyjohnson11 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• What about speaking to his doctor about this would give you some help.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I don't have any experience with ADHD other seeing the nightmare my 16 yr old nephew is living due to the lack of parental guidance and help. (He has a probation officer, stopped going to school, started smoking pot, drinking, smokes, constantly fights with teachers and his parents).
    I do have experience with 9 yr old boys though. ;) Without knowledge or experience with ADHD I'm not sure I have much to offer. I'd suggest talking to his peditrician on how to help him and you work together, maybe even going to a couple counseling sessions together or seperate to get some help and tips. One thing I have done with my boys, is rather than just having the consequences in the immediate term, I explain what could happen in the future if they continue down the path and how they will effect their life on an ongoing basis, for my boys this significantly helped them make better decisions as they got older. Good Luck momma
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2010