whole milk vs. 2% milk for a 13 month old.

My dd is about 13 months old and she started drinking whole milk a month ago. I have noticed a rapid weight gain in her and think it is due to the milk. Do you use whole milk or 2% milk? My dr said to stick with whole milk because they are very close in fatness. She has about 24 ounces of whole milk a day.

Mommytobe618

Asked by Mommytobe618 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine always drink whole
    anjalee033

Answer by anjalee033 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• The fat is fine at her age. It is generally recommended to stay with the full fat until they are 2.

The rapid weight gain could be from the whole milk, but it could also be from a grow. She might stretch out in a couple of weeks. I always noticed that my kids' faces would get pudgy just before they would get taller.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Mine mostly drank 2%.  With the older two I would buy whole but if they drank it all than they got 2%.  My younger 2 kids only ever had 2% and our doctors were okay with that.

Then again, they didn't drink a lot of milk.  They got it in their cereal and maybe 1 6oz cup a day.  They got their dairy mostly from cheese and yogurt.  They still only get milk in their cereal (not that they don't like milk, they love it, I just don't think they need it).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My DD has drank whole since that age she is now 21 months :) It's what the Dr recommended as well.
    BrynlysMommy

Answer by BrynlysMommy at 6:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Is she height/weight proportionate? Lots of kids, particularly at that age chunk up a little bit just before they have a big growth spurt, mine always did. The fat in whole milk is really important for her neurological development (it helps build the myelin sheath that coats the nerves), if you can avoid it I wouldn't switch until she's five.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 6:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Mine now drinks skim milk with us (just switched her). Her dr said that with childhood obesity on the rise, they are recommending switching to 2% instead of whole milk. My daughter is very healthy. She gets plenty of healthy fats as I cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil all the time.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You're supposed to stick with whole milk because the fatness in it is the fat they need for brain growth...my youngest uses whole milk he will be one in a couple weeks
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my youngest was that way too. And once I took her off of whole milk at 2 she lost that weight.
    My_4_cuties_08

Answer by My_4_cuties_08 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I don't think 24 oz of milk would cause such a significant weight gain. I would keep your child on whole milk until somewhere around their 2nd birthday. I just recently started my 24 month old on 2% milk, and will eventually go to 1% milk (which is what I like to drink).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• And YES-fat is very important in a 1 year old's diet. It helps with brain development.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010