whole milk vs. 2% milk for a 13 month old.

My dd is about 13 months old and she started drinking whole milk a month ago. I have noticed a rapid weight gain in her and think it is due to the milk. Do you use whole milk or 2% milk? My dr said to stick with whole milk because they are very close in fatness. She has about 24 ounces of whole milk a day.

Mommytobe618

Asked by Mommytobe618 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We couldn't do whole milk. It upset her tummy. She was on 2% until 3 years and now on skim.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• The whole milk is healthy fat that their brains need for development. Is she going through a growth spurt? And assuming since she is 13 months she is eating completely different things than she was a couple months ago. Remember, formula has more calories than most foods you feed your children as they grow. I wouldn't think 24 oz a day of milk is the reason for her weight gain.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son is turning 1 next week, he's has been drinking whole milk since he was 10 1/2 months, my ped gave me the same reason why whole milk as yours, I probably won't change until the ped recommends it. He's been doing great so far, he hasn't had any changes as far as his weight gain.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• we went straight to 2% at a year
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Whole milk has more fat in it then 2% that's all. Is your doctor worried about her weight gain? If not do not be concerned

Answer by louise2 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My daughter was quite "hefty" I switched her to 2%. Use your judgement. You could give her a little whole milk each day, but the rest be 2%.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i use 2 percent....but my dd is 2...i was told it's ok when she had her well baby visit....she just wouldn't drink whole milk
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son is 20 months and we had been using whole milk until recently. I read an article that said all of the hormones, etc. that is in cow's milk these days is concentrated in the milk fat, so the higher the fat concentrate, the more "bad stuff" you are drinking. We have switched him to 2% and plan on cutting that down to skim as soon as his pediatrician gives the okay - everyone else in my family drinks skim and he has had it when we run out of 2%, he doesn't even notice a difference.

Answer by missanc at 3:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think the better thing to do is to cut back how much milk she takes vs the fat content in her milk. 23 oz is WAY too much milk... I would cut her back to 18 oz/day and the rest should be water. (3 -6 oz glasses of milk is plenty)
    Also keep in mind that she might be having a growth spurt... where they gain weight and then thin out and get taller.
    We had to switch my son to 2% milk at 14 months because whole milk made him so constipated.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I used 2% but her dr said that was fine at the time. She was also a cheese baby and wouldn't drink nearly that much milk anyways. I tried whole milk but she wouldn't touch it even when we were trying to transition!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010