Really?:(

I had not applied for this job, but a recruiter found my monster profile and called regarding not just a job, but the PERFECT job. Great pay, benefits, and EXACTLY what I was seeking. They wanted to know what my credit looked like so I faxed them a copy of my report. I have outstanding history with house, cars, and credit cards but I have under $1000 in medical debt (from 4 years ago) which is in dispute because I don't recognize them as mine. I just got a call from the recruiter saying though my experience is great and I am qualified, they found my credit to be too risky to hire me:( I have almost a 700 score, and a long perfect payment history with every loan I have ever had. I cannot believe this was the reason I was turned down. Maybe it was just someone better?

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 3:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• They can ask and they can decline you based on that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• PLEASE tell me you did not fax your credit report to complete strangers?!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• What does your credit have to do with your job performance?
    Can they even legally ask you for that information? I'm pretty sure they can't where I live.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Your credit report can have very personal information on it- account numbers, social security numbers, birth dates, addresses etc. It is so easy for someone to steal your identity from that- and that is probably what happened in this case.

For future reference (or for anyone else out there that is wondering) some employers will get a copy of your credit report (with your permission of course) but they will probably do it further into an interview, and they are more likely to do it for jobs where money is exchanged.

Right now, you need to call all three credit reporting agencies and put a freeze on your credit report. That will stay on your credit report for 90 days. You can then file a police report saying that your identity has been stolen. I’m not sure if you need proof of that though- maybe just tell the police what happened?

Keep an eye on your credit report too. I’m so sorry this happened to you.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Are you kidding me? Honey, are you sure this wasn't a huge scam? I smell something fishy here...
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It does sound suspicious. I think it was a scam. There are a ton of those out there. Do not ever fax a credit report, or give any private information before you thoroughly check out the job and the company.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No, they are a ligit company and what they did was legal-I am not stupid! I researched them. That was one of the requirements for the job!
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• They had me white out all of my personal info SSN and acct #s.
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010