Former congressman pleads guilty in terror case, did anyone know this?

A former Michigan congressman accused of accepting stolen funds to lobby on behalf of an Islamic charity alleged to have funded terrorist groups pleaded guilty Wednesday to two charges, including obstruction of justice, but prosecutors said other serious charges were likely to be dropped.
Former Republican Rep. Mark Deli Siljander, who served in Congress from 1981 until 1987 and who served a yearlong term as a United Nations delegate, pleaded guilty in federal court in Kansas City, Mo., to obstruction and acting as an unregistered foreign agent.
Money laundering and conspiracy charges would likely be dismissed under the terms of Siljander's plea deal, said Don Ledford, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office of the Western District of Missouri.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I hadn't heard this.

IMO, if they have the goods on him I don't understand why they are offering a plea.  Unless of course he has some information they might find helpful?  IDK, but it really sort of bothers me that they aren't throwing the book at him for the crimes they have evidence that he committed.  I guess it could be a case of having bigger fish to fry?  Guess we will see going forth.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It should be TREASON
    -----
    How is it NOT? I don't get it. I must be having an off day, or something, because that is what it sounds like to me. Maybe that is part of the "other serious charges" that are being dropped. I swear, the country is going completely batty! Down is up, and right is left. Why does THAT sound familiar?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yes I had heard something, but I didn't know the details, I live in Michigan and this hasn't been in the papers. However we have so many political scandals going on right now in my state they probably just didn't have room to report one more. It's really sad.  Thanks for posting the article, I'm going to read it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Sucky ass lawyers. He should not be able to have anything to do with terrorism dropped.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• This is absolutely shocking! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though. I have no faith in most politicians.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Your Welcome, I was pretty shocked I haven't heard anything about it until now...You'd think this would make the news. They found time to tell me Lindsay is getting 90 days...they can find some time for THIS

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• QM that bothers me also....or its just a matter of looking out for one of their own..(politicians)....

It should be TREASON

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010