I'm wondering

My boyfriend has been stressed with work for a little over a month. He hated working at the lowest level of his company, and was trying hard to advance and get a promotion, which he did, but since he has, he's been a jerk. He says he is sleeping less, and doesn't feel well more often because of the lack of rest. We don't live together, so when I do have the chance to see him, he always complains his head or stomach hurts and he just wants to relax. He's barely affectionate with me, and makes occasional comments that aren't very nice. For example, I recently borrowed his notebook to write down the date and time of an interview I had and he got mad at me saying "Couldn't you have used another notebook?!" Seriously, over a piece of paper. I'm thinking that the issue he is having that is making him act this way is related to work but think he may also be annoyed with me. We weren't having any issues in our relationship prior to

countrygirl1987

Asked by countrygirl1987 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• the promotion, so I was thinking I would give both of us time and space away from each other and see where it goes from there. Does anyone else think this is a good idea or have other suggestions for what they think might be? Also, I'm wondering, can work really cause that much stress that you'd be what also seems like annoyed by your SO's existence ? In this case, he annoyed with mine?
    countrygirl1987

Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Maybe he is just under alot of stress. Have you tried to talk to him about with out getting mad or annoyed?
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Sounds odd to me personally. I wouldn't know how to react. Maybe try not calling him or something for a day or two and see if he reaches out to you.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have. I've tried to be supportive, but he just seems to be really annoyed. He'll be sweet at moments, but for the most part lately,he's just in a crappy mood.
    countrygirl1987

Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Have you talked to him about this? I don't mean bringing it up in the middle of an argument I mean seriously sitting down and having a calm adult conversation. Ask him what is going on, does he have any issues with the relationship that needs to be resolved? Make some notes on things you want to talk about so that you get everything out on the table. Remember to stay calm, he will open up easier if he thinks you will be calm.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have tried talking to him. He says that everything is fine with us and that he is happy, he is just tired (exhausted) from work, and that he doesn't get enough sleep.
    countrygirl1987

Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Then I say just listen to him. Also when he is in a mood tell him how it makes you feel. When my husband comes home crabby I look at him and say "its going to be one of THOSE days huh?" It is kind of code that he is being crabby and it is starting to get to me. He will then step back and chill out. Getting to that point where the code works takes a little building to get to. As you get older you learn to control your temper a little better, how to address these kinds of situations and how to respond to the situation.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Thats tuff, I'd have trouble feeling mistreated because he is stressed out. His job may be stressful, but thats no reason to mistreat you (even if its only a little) I would tell him that you realize he is stressed and his attitude towards you is making you not want to be around him. Then tell him that you will give him his space so he can pull it together and when he finds a way to balance everything to call you. GL
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 4:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would give him some space to see if it gets better since he says that it is just work.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 5:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would give him some space and let him come after you when he is ready.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 6:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010