When your toddler is transitioning to a toddler bed from the crib...

Our son is on day 3 in his "new bed". He did fine with nap the last 2 days. Of course today he was up there playing the last 2 hours. I checked on him once and he was playing. I put all the toys up high and laid him back down and said you need to take a nap so you can play at church tonight. Now it's been 2 hours later and daddy just went up to give him a little more milk, and hope he sleeps an hour before we have to leave. How do you handle this? How many times do you go go their room and lay them back down? Or did you just let them play quietly and figure it out? He still naps 3 hours a day, so it's not like he is outgrowing the need of it. He is 22 months old.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 4:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was 15mo when we transistioned him to a toddler bed and he played for a couple days and then got the hang of it...he now sleeps in it just fine and he is 2 1/2 now
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• he is almost 2. I guess fill his day before his napwith lots of activity atleast keep him busy especially if you know later in the day he has something to do where he needs to be rested...

ANother thing for me my son is 3 and takes a nap everyday BUT sometimes we get distracted and Ill turn a movie on or tell him to lay down in bed and read books, and play with his animals, what Im saying is let him just have a "REST" time even if he is not necessarily Napping.. Have him rest.. What your doing is fine.. You cant force him to sleep if his body isnt needing it.. But having him sit in there and rest is good as well.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 4:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• For a child this age,sometimes quiet play time is almost as good as a nap - granted he'll still probably need to go to bed a bit earlier but I think its ok -this is the age commonly "most" boys are weaning themselves from naps all together - well the boys I know I should say lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you know he needs the nap, I would treat it as a no-no when he starts playing, and punish him in the same fashion you would if he kept touching something off-limits.

Hope he gets a bit of rest :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 4:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010