Depression and Pregnancy?

Is anyone have a problem with the depression worsening with their pregnancy?

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 4:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't have depression problems before pregnancy, but during pregnancy, everything was just out of whack, and I got depression, pretty bad. I didn't know how to cope really so everytime I started feeling upset I just hopped in the shower to escape the world. I hope you find a good coping method, sometimes medication is needed but only your OBGYN could help you with that.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Just after when the hormones bottom out, I had horrible PPD. Like I just cried constantly. It was horrible for the first couple weeks. I took meds for it the second time.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you had it before and had to stop taking meds or something, I would imagine it could get worse. I would definitely talk to your doc about it. I believe there are some meds you can take while pregnant.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Well I have always had depression. But I had stopped taking my meds along time ago and learned to cope without them and I was doing really good. But now that I am pregnant it is getting worse then it ever was and I really dont want to go back on meds. I mean I really dont like them at all. But Im thinking that I might not have a choice
    LiLJeni

Comment by LiLJeni (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I rhink for me what helped was looking to the future of my new baby. I was given the choice to keep taking my meds while pregnant and opted not to. I have now been off of them for over 2 years and am doing well w/o them. Just keep looking towards the good things.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 4:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yep.  I had my depression pretty much under control on my own without medication (for the first time in 20+ years) and then I got pregnant and it was just a spiral out of control.  Stupid hormones and chemical imbalances.  I've been miserable since then.

When I was pregnant with my 3rd child I was such a mess my OB put me on anti-depressants because she thought I might hurt myself or something.  I just lost it in her office when I failed the 1hr glucose test (there were other things going on but that just set me off) and had a breakdown in her office, nearly hyperventialted.  It was crazy.

Can't wait to get this baby out and try to get it under control because it sucks.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010