Should my teenage boys be required to eat vegan food like their dad?

I mentioned to my soon to be ex husband that our oldest son wanted white bread for his tuna fish sandwich and their dad does the shopping but lately he is buying for his own vegan diet and he said they can eat whatever he buys. I said they are two growing teens and still need things that you may not have in your diet. I also said if you wanted them to eat what you eat, you should have listened to me years ago . He buys cases of Pepsi and my 13 yr old drinks them like there is no tomorrow! I don't eat vegan and this is a new thing for him, I am still living at the house and eat whatever he buys because I have almost no money until I get a job! He told me my argument doesn't work. So what are your thoughts? ( btw I am looking for jobs and I SO want out of this place but can't since he has no job and neither do I which means no alimony and all that crazy stuff)

Shaneagle777

Asked by Shaneagle777 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• the boys need to be on a regular healthy diet or be on supplements. I am a nurse and your husband should be taking vitamins as well if he is going to continue eating vegan. there is nothing wrong with a vegan diet but you still need to take care of your body. hope that helps :)
    BreedingBoys

Answer by BreedingBoys at 4:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If neither of you has a job, where is your STBX getting the $$ to buy the food? Out of a joint checking? (which you have as much right to as he does?)
    I think parents should provide a well balanced diet to their kids and if he's already giving them Pepsi, then any type of diet is pretty much shot anyway! But he is their dad and when you do split, they will have to eat what their Dad provides at their house. In the meantime, I would go and apply for foodstamps so you have some access to money to buy what YOU want.

Answer by missanc at 4:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• So you and your ex still live together because off financial problems? He, your Ex buys the food? My opinion   , you all eat what he buys.   My DD tried to go vegitarian when she was a teen and we are meat eaters.  I told her the same thing your EX said.

Answer by louise2 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree a well balanced diet is a must..
    Yeah the joint acct he dismantled.. he will OWE me money.. it goes by the date of seperation, he gets unemployment
    not sure I can get food stamps being I havent worked in like forever.. was raising my boys! Yes I know they will eat what their dad eats when I move.. I did tell my boys there will be no huge costco sized pepsi box in my house and yes I agree diet is shot.
    I eat meat sparingly but not everyday especially steaks which I grew up on, we still get chicken when we can.. get this...I failed to mention this.. but he will go out and buy MCD's or bring home Pizza on tues night or take them to a resturaunt! Meanwhile I have to figure out what we have in house to eat. Once a week I will get either In and Out Burger or Wendy's but thats soon gonna be gon. I still get my starbucks and try to get the cheapest drink,I dont drink alcohol or smoke so Starbucks is like my lil addiction!
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• however I dont get it everyday, I have cut back.
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010