Ear Piercing

hey everyone..my baby is 11 mos old and i was cosidering piercing her ears tomorrow,only bcause i heard it is easier when the baby is younger...I think im going to cancel the appt.

Has anyone done it this young or waited till around 5 years if they wanted them? The dr. said if i am going to do it i should do it now bcause its worse when they are older.. :(

kyliegirl28

Asked by kyliegirl28 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should wait and see if your dd wants her ears pierced later in life.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• IMO...why would you take the choice away from her? What if she doesn't want them when she's older? Mine didn't ever close back up and I don't want them.

As for the answer, babies cannot understand rationalization. So telling her that it will be over soon or that she will get a toy for behaving won't help. It is GOING to hurt no matter what the age. The difference is that now, she will probably not remember it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i agree with erin.... when my dd is old enough to help take care of them then she can have them done if she wants to
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We have a little girl with not a lot of hair. I will not put extra holes in her ears just because stupid people can't tell that a baby in a pink dress with a pink diaper bag is a girl. When she is old enough to decide for herself, I will take her, help her choose the earrings, pay for it, and buy her new ones to interchange. But when SHE'S ready.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i personally think kids/babies are cute w/o holes in their body, im 110% for letting them decide if/when they want them
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 4:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My daughter is turning 9 in a few weeks and finally wants her ears pierced. Up until recently she was adamant that she did NOT want them done, so I'm glad I didn't do it when she was a baby! Also, now that she's older I am looking forward to a big "Girl's Day" with her where we get her ears done, have lunch together, maybe get a manicure - I am so excited about celebrating this with her, something I wouldn't have been able to do if I had them done when she was a baby.
    My sister and I both did the same thing with my mom when we had our ears pierced when we were 6. I don't remember it being traumatic or anything.

Answer by missanc at 4:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• thanks..ya i am def going to wait! no sense in getting them done now
    kyliegirl28

Comment by kyliegirl28 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• A lot of parents believe it is a child's choice. I got my DDs done when she was about 6 months old. We never had any problems with them and she likes them now (she's two) she tells me that she wants me to put in her pretties. LOL
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I waited till my daughters 4th birthday. Yes she Cried but once it was over she was thrilled to go pick out more earrings so she could wear them. She even was excited to pick out her piercers which were HOT PINK butterflies
    BrandiGunter

Answer by BrandiGunter at 4:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree w/ Jademom07 why on earth would any parent make such a lifelong descision for their child - mine never closed up either...just got longer and longer... :(
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 4:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010