Out of Line?

We are moving out of our rental due to a mold issue either this weekend or next week (ASAP). A guy stopped by today while my husband is at work and asked if he could check the place out because our landlord told him that its for rent and will be available soon. I said he could come back when my husband was home so he left. This was the first Id heard that the place was back up for rent. A couple hours later the landlord came by to ask if its ok that this guy comes and looks at the place. I told him Id prefer for my husband to be here. So THEN he asks if its ok if he himself is present. I said again, Id really prefer if my husband was home when they come over. So he gets upset and leaves.

Do you think I was out of line by not letting them come over to look at everything while its just me and my baby? Or do you think he should respect that Im not ok being basically alone in the house with two near strangers?

Aqua_Jen

Asked by Aqua_Jen at 4:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I agree, at the very least the landlord should have called to ask about an appropriate time to show the place.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• not at all! i would have done the same thing! noone comes in my house unless my husband is home.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• it's your home, you have a right to do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
    and I agree that you did the right thing- just because someone is your landlord or a 'potential renter' doesn't mean they are safe!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If your not comfortable with them entering your home while your alone thats fine. I would never let some guy I don't know enter my home w/o my husband either. You should report the mold problem though, it is a health risk to whom ever lives in that apartment. The fact that he is moving someone new into the place w/o fixing the problem is against the law.
    nicci260

Answer by nicci260 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You did the right thing.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you felt right that your husband needs to be there then they should respect that.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We are reporting the mold to the health dept. Our lawyer told us not to report it til after we leave though since its such a short time frame. He "says" hes going to fix the problem before the guy moves in but we know itll be a quick cheap patch job. Thats a whole other issue.
    Aqua_Jen

Comment by Aqua_Jen (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yeah call the health dept now. Why would you wait? No it is not out of the question to ask for some notice to have the new tenants look around.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• A landlord has to give you 24 hour notice before they can come in or show the house to someone else. You did the right thing. No way I would have let either of them in.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• You landlord is required to give you a 24 hour notice to show the home. But, check your lease or rental agreement, sometimes they can let themselves in or come by for a surprise visit to be sure you are keeping up the place.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:20 AM on Jul. 13, 2010