need some help for a friend!!

My friend has a 5 year old son who refuses to sleep. He is up at all hours of the night playing with toys and eating food. Does anyone else have this problem and if so can you giv eme some advice that i can pass on to her?

tatorsmom2004

Asked by tatorsmom2004 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he have a set schedule! Is he still taking naps! Sometimes kids who rest to much during the day are restless at night!
    BrandiGunter

Answer by BrandiGunter at 4:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• make a weak chamomile tea an hour before bed for him to drink. My DD had issues getting to sleep and this worked great. . . the tea makes you drowsy and tired and can be sweetened like a treat. . . Hope this helps. . . that is all I got, sorry.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Melatonin is the chemical that your bdy naturally makes to cause you to fall asleep. You can buy it in the natural sections of most grocery stores. I would start with giving this to him, maybe his body doesn't make enough.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with Brandi. Schedule is everything in our home. Having a child with autism, we live on 4 words~ Structure, Schedule,Order and Patience. Once a routine is set, hopefully your friend's little man will sleep. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Well for one...how is he getting food in the middle of the night if he is supposed to be sleeping? My kids would do this if I let them. They go to bed at 8pm. Lights out and door shut. If I hear one word DH goes up there and yells, then I go up and yell, then the toys start coming out of their room. They usually shut right up at night time now even if they are not asleep. Good luck to your friend.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010