Co-sleeping and transitioning to "big boy bed"

DH & I have co slept with our soon to be 1 year old since he was about 4 months old, he was really sick and hospitalized for 3 days and when we brought him home we didn't want him out of our sight...well it continued. He hasn't used his crib since and he completely hates it now. At what age did you transition your LO, did it work, was it hard? Nathan will be sleeping in the room with us but we are really considering transitioning him soon, he's a crazy sleeper, if I am sleeping he pulls my hair or slaps my face to wake me up (LOL!) and not only that but hubby thinks we may be suffering in other areas as a couple because of it, so we are both ready! Any suggestions?

LuvmyFam6

Asked by LuvmyFam6 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have one of those!! We have been co-sleeping with our almost two year old since his birth. When he was 9 months we set the crib up next to my side of the bed, right up against the mattress, where he was able to`sleep on his bed but still be close to me. (He is breastfed so it was more practical to keep him close). We took down the wall that was against our bed so that he could crawl right over to me. I am about to have baby #2 here in a few weeks and we have since moved my sons crib to the bottom of the bed. Same concept but we can feel him coming if he crawls into bed with us and he is used to being down there. Still a co-sleeping concept but he has his space and we just have to move him down there if we want our space.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 4:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I co-slept until DD was 5 & loved it. When it was time, i just got her psyched for her new bed. I kept talking about it & showing her pictures & telling her how awesome her BRAND NEW bed is. And it was that simple. She loved her new shiny big girl bed when i bought it.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I was not in love with my ex husband though, so my DD sleeping in my bed was a great excuse to not have sex or sleep next to him. He slept on the couch for those 4 years.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son and I co-sleep; he is three and a half. He now has a big boy bed shoved up next to our bed (which is a mattress on the floor for his safety), and sometimes sleeps there, knowing he can just roll over into my bed if he needs a snuggle.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 4:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have a 15 month old and I think he is still to young for a big boy bed but that's just me. I think I'll do that at like 2. He has always slept in his crib in his room. latley though he will not sleep (he crys for hours) unless he is with me. I can lay with him then carry him to his crib when he is out. He will wake up at 5:30am and cry until I get him to cuddle with me in my bed. I just think that when they are ready they are it's so hard to know. Sorry I couldn't help more.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yeah i don't think my husband will fall for him being with us for another 4 years. We co-slept with our 9 year old until he was about 5 and the transition was a nightmare, he didn't sleep through the night without calling one of us for almost 6 months after! If it were up to me I wouldn't care, but hubby is kinda in a hurry, LOL!
    LuvmyFam6

Comment by LuvmyFam6 (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• So do you ladies think 1 is too young to transition to a big boy bed? It won't be like a twin bed or anything, just like the normal ones, a car or something, Idk, maybe he's still too little?
    LuvmyFam6

Comment by LuvmyFam6 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010