How often have Bible traditions have been wrong?

Of course, some people hold the Traditional View simply because it is the traditional view. I've heard people say, "Two thousand years of church tradition can't be wrong." But this approach ignores just how often church tradition has been wrong: when astronomers challenged the traditional interpretations of 1 Chronicles 16:30 and Psalm 104:5; when abolitionists questioned the Biblical support for slavery; when Martin Luther posted his 95 theses in defiance of the Catholic Church; when liberal Christians began suggesting that interracial marriage was not a sin in God's eyes - in these and many other cases, social pressures were the catalyst for reforming the church's traditions. We are the body of Christ, to be sure, but we are an all-too-human body, and we're still growing to spiritual maturity.

This was copied from an article I read, any thoughts??

Asked by older at 4:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It's exactly why I feel like judging is dangerous. What we have is not the original text, and the original text does not translate perfectly into our language. There are instances where the same hebrew words were translated into different English words in the same book- and the one I'm thinking of now is used time and again to prove animals have no soul.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think that its all in the way someone looks at the Bible that makes it wrong or not. For example, reading the Bible as a literal, stagnant document that can only inspire one understanding often leads to "being wrong", yet reading it in a more open-minded, metaphorical or allegorical kind of way can actually be compatible with the issues of society or science (etc) of the day, rather than being stuck in a mentality that is 2000 years old - a mentality that wasn't meant to be passed down through the text. It all comes down to how one looks at the Bible and whether or not one understands the whole point/intent/etc of Mythos (not that I'm saying its fiction, but Mythos in the original understanding of conveying a truth greater than our ability to really explain it).

But that's just the way I see it. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• All long as there has been a church.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think that the Bible is an AMAZING book that people have the ability to make say whatever they need it to say at a given time :) So is it wrong YES......and NO LOL

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It's collection of stories that many use as a self-help tool and guide for making life decisions. Which I think is grand for using it as such. The words can be interpreted to mean whatever the user believes as appropriate, IMO, and so the validity is always in question. I have read stories, attended classes and listened to sermons about this book, but again the true meaning is whatever one makes it. I have never meet Jesus or Matthew, Mark, Luke or John in person, and neither has anyone else, that I personally know, the info, as far as I can tell, leaves some room for individual interpretation.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• There are over 20k Christian denominations, so I'd say it's pretty darn common that people will disagree with certain church doctrine and break off to form a new church.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• As long as there has been a church (counting before Jesus' time), they have been completely, utterly, and totally WRONG.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• The thing with the church on this side of heaven is it is run and managed by fallible humans. The church therefore is also fallible.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• The Bible and for that matter religious doctrine as a whole is like that game "telegraph" The final/current version is not the same as the original intended message.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• there are bible truths and traditions.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2010