Do you think that we should print voting materials in languages other than English?

comfycouch

Asked by comfycouch at 5:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course. An educated voter is the best kind of voter. The more we do to ensure that every voter knows what they're doing when they visit the polls, the better! I know some folks have a political dislike of this. But, you know, I have a bias against all the signs at the polls that were obviously written for idiots (why do they have to tell you the same thing seventeen times seventeen different ways??) -- but I still support it, b/c, again, educated voters are best! The folks who need to be told seventeen times are going to vote anyway, so better that they know what they're doing!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 5:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yes, why not? I think everything world wide should be in all major languages! I don't understand why it's not already. Some people have an easier time reading in their native laguage. I know even 60 years after my great grandpa was in America he watched TV in Italian and would read things in Italian because it was easier. Even if they can not speak much English who cares they should be able to vote if they are registered.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I dont have a problem with this but my only question is How many different languages? And Which languages?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• mom, all major ones. English, Spanish,Chinese, etc etc. That is the only way it would be fair.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Let's look at this from a different angle, for a moment. Suppose you go to France, where they speak French. If you became a citizen with the rights that go with citizenship, such as being able to vote, you would be expected to learn enough of the language to get along, to read the street signs, the signs in stores, talk on the phone with other natives, and to vote after reading the ballot in French. I would NOT expect that they absorb the cost of printing up a bunch of material in English so that I could read something that I am assumed to have learned previous to becoming a citizen and being granted the right to vote. If people who speak other languages want to vote, and I have no problem with that provided that they are legally a citizen, they can vote on the same ballot that I use. I do know that not everyone speaks English all the time, but an American citizen should be able to vote in English.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• 29, a lot of countries are actually considering being more world friendly. I think all countires should do that. The world is everyones and we should remember that!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yes. In my area, there are Native Americans who only speak their Navajo, or Ute, or whatever their native language is. My grandmother, who was an American citizen (born and raised), spoke only Spanish. I have relatives who are Chinese who only speak Chinese.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• "but an American citizen should be able to vote in English. "

My only argument with this is that many Native Americans don't speak English, at least not those born and raised on the reservation. They aren't immigrants, and they are speaking a native language that was used in America before Europeans knew the Americas existed.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• mancos. I like your argument!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010