I have to enroll my twin daughters in school by the 1st week of August. I cannot decide between two schools. One school is Goddard and it is about 15 minute drive from my house and I have to pack lunch. The other school is Sunshine House and is a 2 minute ride from my house and they provide lunch. I have done all the research in internet and gathered information from my friends about these schools but still i cannot decide which is best for my kids?

Vmom79

Asked by Vmom79 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When I first got into Early Childhood Education, I worked at a Goddard School. I enjoyed working there, and loved the curriculum they taught off of. They believe in Piaget's learning theory of ages and stages. Meaning, they separate children by age, with the theory that children learn best when with peers of the same developmental level. If you can afford it, it's a nice place. I don't understand why they don't provide lunch, though. The center I was at provided both breakfast and lunch.
    If I were you, I would go tour both these facilities to make your ultimate decision. It's very important to feel confident and comfortable with your child's caregivers and educators.

Here's some information on Piaget's learning theory: http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/intranet/committees/FacDevCom/guidebk/teachtip/piaget.htm

(I'm a preschool teacher and have my degree in Early Childhood Education)
    mandipandy07

Answer by mandipandy07 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Heh... that's what it's down to?
    The distance and packing lunch? :/

This is up to you, really. It's your children. If it were me, I would probably choose the one who have the best teacher/student ratio, which one I just get an overall better vibe from, they're overall outlook on children's education, etc.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

•  Do you have a better feeling about one building over another, the teachers, atmosphere?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• agree with ManicMomma02. Have you visited each?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• All else being equal, I'd say don't underestimate the value of having your kids close to home. On a nice day, you can walk them to or from the school, and in the event of an emergency you can get to them in an instant.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 5:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• well which one looks/feels best? which has the friendlier atmosphere? i would be lookin closer into the closer one
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Visit them both and see which one your daughters like best as far as facilities and staff.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 7:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• having worked in daycare I would tend to avoid chain schools. The people working there tend to be less into the childrens needs and more into it as a business.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2010