My child is having a hard time in school (reading), would a magnet school be an option?

Or is it only for gifted kids???

Foreigner here, please excuse my ignorance on the supject :)

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 5:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in

• Magnet schools differ from area to area. In the counties that surround mine, one is heavy in the science and maths and the other is heavy in the arts. Your best bet is to go to the school about testing to make sure there are no learning disabilities and ask about tutoring. If you put your requests in writing, the school is legally obligated to reply to your written request.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• A magnet school usually focuses on the arts...Not necessarily good for a struggling reader, but it could be.
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 5:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Well I suggest making reading fun for him. I got my 4 y/o leap frogs reading books (you know with the tag tool - link) and it has helped him a lot. I also make flash cards out of index cards. I cut them in half and write each letter of the alphabet on the back of one. Then we say a word like cat, I make him sound out  the word and guess what letter he needs to spell it. It really works, and the cards are .69 from the dollar store!

I dont suggest MY BABY CAN READ b/c its so expensive and you can truly do the lessons w/o it. For more mom-to-kid lessons you can try LessonsPathway.com

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

Next question in
College Scholarships, etc...

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Headaches?