How do you boil boneless skinless chicken breasts? How long?

I've never had to boil chicken before but our oven is broke so I have to boil them now.

AustinPsalm139

Asked by AustinPsalm139 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Just throw them in a pot with water to cover them. Add whatever seasonings you want and then put it on the stove to start boiling away. I don't know how long because every chicken breast is a different size or thickness, so just keep checking them until they are done. Then you have chicken broth for a soup or something else you would use broth for.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 5:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I put my chicken in a pot with water, carrots, onions, and anything else u would want to add. U or I let mine get to a boil. Then turned the heat down to simmer and let it go all day. Best broth and chicken u can make.. I hope it helps
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Do you have a meat thermomator? Get them to 165 degrees in the core. You can get an inexpensive one for a couple bucks.

Sometimes when people renovate their houses they get rid of perfectly good appliances for little to no cost on craigslist.

I would do a low boil to keep them from getting rubbery.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You could pan fry them instead of boiling them. You do still need to add a little water to the bottom of the pan to keep them from burning and also helps to cook them completely.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 6:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I also would recommend pan frying or sauteeing them....boiled chicken is bland.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I season them, cover with water. I usually add celery and onion (sometimes other veggies) to the pot and i don't boil. I poach, or simmer the breasts. I keep the tongs near the pot and pick them up to check the texture as I am working on the rest of the meal. Watch carefully. They will be nearly falling apart when you gently try to bend a breast in half. (If they are overcooked they won't do that,)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010