How can I help my two year old adjust to moving to a new home?

We've been where we are at since my now two year old was born and we will be moving in September. The whole situation just has me stressed out and sick to my stomach! I am worried about everything, and I don't know how I can make the move easier on her.

Any suggestions???

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't be overly concerned for your two year old making a move. They are little and adjust pretty well. However, when they get older and are in school then it's all different. Little babies sometimes can sense that you are upset and can react.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I moved when my DD was 2 and she took it well...but so did I. I think you're thinkng because you are stressed she will be too. Just be supportive and try and keep the new home as much like the old one.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• to be honest it really isn't going to help making the move easier. . . moves are stressful no matter how old you are. The best thing to do is keep introducing the concept and have a special item to make him feel safe and home. In a few months after the move chances are he won't remember the stress anyhow. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 5:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• she
    will be fine- I think it's jsut adding stress where you don't really need to worry ;)
    we have moved COUNTLESS times and the kids always get over it the quickest!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You need to be calm and matter of fact and she will be too. Don't let her pick up on your anxiety. Explain everything you are doing.....packing, taking things off wall, etc and that everything you all love is going with you. I mean......do this when time gets closer. Don't talk about it too early. She has no concept of time yet. Let her know this is a good thing and it's something to be happy about. Once you get to new place make it fun to set up her room and decorate, take things out of boxes. etc. You will be just fine. It would be a different story if she were a teenager.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm moving from Alaska to WA in a week, into family's houses jumping back and forth everywhere until I can find a house for us and then DH will bring our stuff as soon as he gets out of the Army in 2 mos... I'm nervous, but it'll be worth it in the end and another "remember when..." later! Realizing you do what you need to do and she will adjust just fine! Keep her active and involved, but don't let her see you too stressed or it will make it a bad thing.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When my friends moved w/ their 2.5 yo, they painted and decorated his new room exactly like his old room, before he ever saw the new house.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010