help! need vegan recipies for kids!

We're making the change to a Vegan diet. I was wondering if anyone had any simple, easy, quick recipies that kids would enjoy. I'm looking for ideas for everyday meals.

Thanks :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in About CafeMom

• http://fatfreevegan.com/ http://kidsarevegantoo.blogspot.com/2006/09/vegan-recipes-for-kids.html
    best thing to do is try lots of recipes. . . everyone has their own tastes. . . many of these are very good
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 5:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• GOOD LUCK! LOL, i tried that & failed miserably, she would not eat anything i made for her. You really have to start from birth to get them used to a vegan diet. My DD is vegetarian though, she has never eated meat.

My friends son was raised vegan until he was 5 when the Dr. told his father he was malnurished. I could have told him that, but he swore it was genetics. Just be careful, that really freaked me out when i heard about that news. So sad!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Talk to a pediatric dietitian first, or at least a pediatrician. I am vegan but you really have to be sure that your kids (especially under five when myelin is still forming around the brain) are getting the proper nutrients and fat intake. It can be hard. I am lifelong vegetarian and off and on vegan (I sometimes eat cheese- that is the only animal byproduct I've ever eaten.)

There are tons of recipes online. You can find lots by searching 'vegan' at Recipezaar.com. Beans, chickpeas, and flax are all good sources of protein. You really need to focus on fat intake for little ones though. They need it. I have seen kids with thinning hair after their parents put them on vegan diets without properly researching first. That is why I am really stressing it.

Congratulations on deciding to go vegan! Best of luck.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 5:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Better Than Peanut Butter and Jelly is a pretty good book for kid friendly recipes, it's about 50% vegan and 90% veganizable with products like soy cheese. My son has been almost entirely vegan since birth, he does occasionally eat stuff like a slice of birthday cake and we're not anal about stuff like dairy in bread in restaurants. He's a healthy weight and height and smart as a whip. It's really no harder to raise kids vegan than it is to feed them an omni diet and it's way healthier.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010