Would you let your 10 yr old play his baseball game in 92 degree hot/humid heat advisory weather?

My son has a game at 7 tonight...and it is so hot here, I literally have sweat dripping off me. They havent canceled the game and I'm debating if its a good idea to even let him go or not? What would you do?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 5:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We ran into this a few times this year. If you're playing in a league "dressing cool" isn't always an option. There's a uniform to wear and you can't switch out to something more appropriate. Those baseball pants and socks are HOT!

One hot-humid afternoon my son did *not* play in his game. We had been out at an outdoor event just prior to he game and my son was not doing well with the heat even dressed appropriately and keeping well hydrated. We called the coach and told him what was going on and that we didn't expect Logan to make the game. Another evening, though, he did just fine. Then again, it was an evening game as we got started the temps and humidity were coming down a bit. Of course, I should add that DS just turned 8 and had been playing in the 7-year old Farm league of his LL organization. His games still don't involve keeping score or standings. ;)

How does your son handle the heat?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would let him go, but dress him as cool as possible and bring plenty of water to keep him hydrated.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Same thing happened to us yesterday. They didn't cancel and it was over 90 degrees. I let him play because he wanted to, but I made sure he took lots of water with him and drank it during the game.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I sure would. Keep him hydrated and keep an eye on him. I would rather play it now than have the season drag on into August when it will probably be hotter.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I was actually having this same discussion with a friend of mine today. She's debating the same thing about her daughter.

I think you would be well within your rights to say no, but if you do decide to let him go, I would make sure he is well hydrated before he goes as well as that he keeps himself hydrated throughout the game.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yeah, i would let him go. As long as he stays hydrated, he will be fine. Just bring lots of water & gatorade.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I live in AZ and I've let my son play, my 9 year old. I just make sure I bring him plenty to drink and lots of fruits, oranges, grapes or watermelon to try to keep him cool. I actually have a game with my 14 year old at 5:30 my time, it is going to suck!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yes I would let him go.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Where i live that a normal temp. If you aren't used to it... maybe not...

you could just have him keep his uniform wet with water and stay cool and drink lots of water htough!!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would let him go too but yes take lots of water and gatoraid and if he shows signs of getting ill, take him home. I can't believe they didn't cancel it.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010