What do you think about College?

Do you think that everyone should go?

I personally do not think college is for everyone. I have been to college and I am going back this fall but I just do not think some people are really cut out for it, but I feel like our society puts such a "must" about it that many people think they have to go.

saysha100687

Asked by saysha100687 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There is a great TED conference video (you can find it on YouTube I think) on how formal schooling is killing creativity. Honestly, I think that a college degree is now about like having a high school diploma. The jobs that are really innovative now (and making people really rich!) are not the ones you get with a degree. Look at the websites that have gotten the creators insanely rich- most of those people didn't finish college. I think the Internet has equalized the field somewhat. If someone has a working knowledge of the Web and an original idea they could make a huge company from it.

I am in college right now, but I don't think one needs it to be successful. Originality and ambition trump a degree any day. (Yeah, I know- so what does that say about ME?! Lol.)
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 6:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think I've been in college most of my adult life! I love college. No it's not for everyone. There are lots of On The Job Training programs that work well for some people. Some artists just have talent and don't need a degree. Each to his own.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think people need to do what's right for them.

One size does not fit all and we make ourselves unhappy trying to live up to the college degree, husband, house, 2.5 kids, nice car, dog....
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 5:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It was right for me and I'm going to be pretty insistent that my children go (we will pay for it), but I'm sure it's not for everyone.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i am going because I need it for the job I want to move to Japan.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It is not right for everyone.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It's not for everyone. There are plenty of people who are more skilled with physical talents than mental. I don't expect my car mechanic or a pro-wrestling star to have a 4 year college degree. It's great if they do, but not required, kwim?

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• College is not the only answer. But the way things are today, how competitve the job situation is, I think every young person should have some sort of job training..........technical or college..........to be eligible for the best jobs.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• College was definitely the wrong path when I was younger and I think it is for a lot of young people. I'm also headed back in the fall, and my husband will be starting for the first time. We're older, more mature and (hopefully) more willing to work for it.

For some people, I don't think college is the answer at all. They can do quite well without it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 5:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My opinion, from attending a state university, is there are so many people who graduate high school without even the basic skills in writing and math. College is absolutely necessary for these people to have any hope of succeeding, although many of them do not continue and graduate. I had a blast in college. It was a lot of fun and I'm glad I was single to do it. I don't think I would have the energy or the time to do it all again.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010