what if any chores do your preschoolers do every day?

ds just turned 4 and so far her doesnt do any chores daily. i want to change that so i can teach him responsibility. occasionally unloads the dishwasher and gets a nickle every time he does. lately he has been telling me he does not want to earn a nickle so i have been unloading again. from now on i want him to start unloading every day when we get home from school as well as start cleaning his room every night before bed. i just wonder if thats too much for a kid who just turned 4? i wonder if i should wait another year and the day he turns 5 (or the day after) i should sit him down and explain that he is a big boy now and that means he needs to start helping out. what are your thoughts?

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4yo is supposed to pick up her toys (several times a day or when she's done playing with them so they aren't all over her room) and keep her dirty clothes in the hamper every day. But, lately, we've all been slacking.
    Those are basically my kids' only daily chores (keeping their things picked up around the house and cleaning up any messes they make--like spilling something in the kitchen).
    Other stuff they do as needed. My 4yo also folds her laundry (usually with my help otherwise it would take her all day) and puts away her clean stuff. She unloads the dishwasher once in awhile as best she can (she can't put a lot of the stuff away so she just leaves it on the table). She helps carrying groceries or take out the recycling and cleans up the yard. She shares those chores with her older siblings. They all help out because they all live here and they get no allowance. It's just expected they do them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She helps me put away the dishes. I don't even have to ask her, she comes in and helps on her own which makes it nice. And sometimes when I'm sweeping she'll take the broom from me and sweep. lol
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My Son Just turned 4 also, the only thing i have him do is pick up his toys and help clean his room.Plus he likes to help me out with my chores
    moonlight22

Answer by moonlight22 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my son is almost 3- he feeds the cats every day and helps me load the clothes washer and dryer.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Connor picks up his toys, helps load the dishwasher, help fold towels, and is required to help feed his hermit crab.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have a 5 and a 3 yo that help out in lots of ways around the house. We see this as part of living in the house together. I don't get paid so why should they? My just turned 5yo takes out the scraps for the compost, feeds the dog and helps take the stuff off the table. While the 3 yo is to clean up when she takes stuff out and helps wash the table. I have 2 older children and they all are expected to help out where needed at all times of day with no pay. We buy everything for them so why do they need money?
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010