How is your garden growing this year?

We have had a very wet and cold May and June here so hardly anyone got gardens in. This year i just have some onions and tomatoes. And I put plants in for a hummingbird/butterfly garden.

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 6:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We have harvested bucket after bucket of strawberries some of which I made jam, some which we gave a way and some are frozen since I had carpal tunnel surgery and couldn't get to it all. We have taken out all the radishes and some of the onions I like to let them get huge for making & freezing stew that I make for my dad and the radishes are for him too. Of course there are a ton of weeds since I had my surgery hubby can't do it all. Corn,pumpkins, squash,beans(will be ready next week) carrots, tomatoes and peppers all doing great. Hope everyone will have plenty of food for the winter this year1
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My garden is doing ok, but it looks like a jungle. I am pregnant and have been really sick with this little one. BUt everything is growing great. I cant barely get to it but yeah it is doing good. We also had a very wet may and first part of june. I didn't think I would ever get is in
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Well, we've harvested three strawberries from our 4 plants, the sunflowers are blooming, and the pumpkin and cucumbers are vining like crazy...the tomatoes didn't make it and look like a small indoor houseplant...so, for my first garden, I guess I should just be happy that it's not a bunch of dried up weeds. :)
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 7:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My garden is doing very nicely even tho I planted late bc of the colder weather we had...
    I started tomatoes in the house, and my mother gave me a few, all are doing really good...
    I put in cucumbers, pumpkins, white egg plant, green peppers, have parsley and cilantro in the garden...
    In the house I have thyme and fennel growing... along with bay...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• The best grass in my yard can be found in my garden. Seriously. I dont know whats a plant and whats a weed, so I didn't weed it... haha - I did some searching (after finding out that SOMEONE mowed my cornstalks down!) and I found 3 tomato plants w/ small tomatoes (the biggest ones are 50-cent piece sized) and they are supposed to be the HUGE tomatoes, so we'll just have to see. My cucumber vine (of the 10 I planted, 1 survived) has 7 small cuc's on it... and I think I have some broccoli plants coming up - maybe those are weeds too, IDK. Whatever.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Surprisngly well. My husband made a bunch of wooden boxes and legs so we are using those. We are planting peppers of many varieties, tomatoes, and a cabbage from a school project. We are using a long rectangular planter and have an herb garden with three types of basil, parsley, sage, chives. I'm starting to see vegetables grow. Our herb garden is doing well too. I have used the basil for pasta and the lemon basil for chicken and both have been so much better than store bought! It's our first garden. Our landlord said we could plant a garden, but we did not want to tear up his yard. Hence, the boxes. They work great! All of our plants were started from seed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• In coastal Georgia everything is growing well. My tomato plants are getting so big they look like little trees. My lil hummingbird loves the hybiscus plants they are really getting big with tons of blooms- both the single and the double. Basil got so huge that it flowered- so I am going to yank it and get some more- once it blooms it gets bitter. My blue delphinium I got on clearance at lowes and was pretty much a gonner and now it is big and BEAUTIFUL- wasn't sure how it would handle the southern heat. Everything seems to be hanging in there even at summer's peak.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 3:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010