Have you ever called CPS on someone, or had CPS called on you?

It seems like there are a lot of CPS happy women on this site. "I heard a child crying next door, what should I do?" "call CPS, poor thing is probably being neglected and beat". I don't know anyone personally that has ever called CPS or has had CPS called on them. Is it really that common?

GavinsMommii

Asked by GavinsMommii at 6:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• CPS was called on me but thats bc i broke up with my SO once and he admitted himself to a psychiatric hospital & told a worker that we fight in front of our son.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Nope, Im proud to say that i havent, i dont involve my self with women like that, so i have no reason to call them on anyone
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• but yes i think it is common. i know quite a few people who have had CPS called on them over every little thing. children need to be protected, & CPS is a great thing, but nobody has a perfect family and household.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Oh yes, there are indeed a lot of 'CPS happy' woman on this site.

I never realized that so many people call CPS for the most inane reasons until I joined CM. ;)

The time I called was indeed warranted.
    FromAtoZ

Answer by FromAtoZ at 6:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Nope, and nope. I have family members who have called multiple times on a cousin of mine who has 8 VERY neglected and hungry kids...and they won't even respond. Then, I hear some stupid story about an overly nosy neighbor calling and then the kids get taken away for hardly any reason. I don't get it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have never called on anyone or had them called on me. But my two sister inlaws get mad at each other and then will call on each other all the time. HOWEVER, one sister inlaw did get her kids taken away from her thank goodness! They were constantly neglected and abused and she didn't care. But I never called on her because someone else had but they couldn't find her.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 6:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• One more thing. You had better believe that if anyone ever called CPS on me without any legitimate basis for doing so, I'd be getting the best lawyers I could find and suing the hell out of whoever I could.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• NO AND NO.
    I never heard of CPS until I started reading at Cafe Mom.Sounds like a bunch of tattle-tales.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I've had them called on me twice. Once from the school and once from my ex husband.
    The school because my son went there with a black eye..which he got from wrestling around with his dad and I even told them that.Idiots. And then my ex called because he's a jackass and was giving me a hard time about the divorce..and well..its just a long story. But anyway, yeah, I've been called on.
    The only time I've ever had to call was on my ex husband (of course) because he took our son out of my home undera restraining order and kept him and I had no idea where he lived and there were some other very detailed issues going on. The police department adviced me on calling because there was nothing I could do...they restraining order was for him to stay away from me, not our son..again..long story.
    Other than that..I;ve never called on anyone.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• LovingSAHMommy:  CPS cannot tell you, or any one, who made a call.  This is not to say that you may not be aware who made the call but it cannot be 'confirmed'.  You would have quite the time suing some one unless the call and CPS's involvement caused you and your family harm in some way. 

FromAtoZ

Answer by FromAtoZ at 6:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010