Dumb question but is it possible to get pregnant while pregnant?

Ever since I had the baby, which was four days ago, I've been feeling more hungry and willing to eat just about anything and everything more so than when I was pregnant. I don't think I could be pregnant, but is it possible to get pregnant while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ok, from everything I've read, studied, and heard, it is HIGHLY improbable. The only way anything gets into your cervix (sperm) is from traveling up your cervical mucus when you ovulate. It has to be a right consistency and the ph level has to be correct. Your cervix is normally closed, except for when you ovulate, which it opens just enough for the cervical mucus to come out (otherwise you could get infections sooo easily!).

Shortly after conception, when the baby attached to the uterine walls, your body releases hormones within about 24 hours that make it so you can't get pregnant again. Even if another egg were to be fertilized, it wouldn't attach; basically like a safety measure our body takes.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 6:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• possible, not probable. you're probably just hungry from breastfeeding
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Most likely your hormones or BF'ing is causing you to be so hungry.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• But I agree it is from the hormonal shift going on right now. if there was another baby in there they would've seen it when you delivered.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i posted this a while ago...

Reports of superfetation, or conceiving while pregnant, are so rare that There is no prevalence or incidence in the literature. only about 10 reported cases.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ReproductiveHealth/pregnant-woman-pregnant-julia-grovenburg-conceives-consecutively/story?id=8656369
    EmilyAnn1012

Answer by EmilyAnn1012 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think that there is a slim possibility to get pregnant twice in the beginning..like when the eggs are first fertilized..like maybe within 3 days or something. I think they had a show on that on the discovery channel a while back. But I've never heard of getting pregnant while far into the pregnancy..or even several weeks into the pregnancy.
    Are you breastfeeding? That may be cause for your hunger.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• yes, it happend to my sister....she was pregnant and went 2 her first u/s there was 1 baby 1 heart beat, then second dr appt, there was a 12 week baby and a 6 week baby both had heartbeats, but she ended up looseing the 6 week baby at 12 weeks....weird huh
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• dee,that sounds more like a twin was hidden in the beginning and didn't thrive and passed away. Your cervix is closed up when you're pregnant,and you aren't ovulating while pregnant.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Actually, Yes it is possible. It is not unheard of to find out your pregnant, and to ovulate the next month and that egg could get fertilized as well. It is about a 1 in a million change, but it can happen.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 6:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010