car seats

i'm looking at getting my dd a different car seat....just shopping around..we're ttc, so the car seats i get i would want for a while. we have two car seats now, as it is,..one for my car and one for dh's car...the only problem with using those two is taht we'd have to switch back and forth every time we don't take my car. again, i'm just looking around for now, but i don't know what kind to get for the next time around. i really like the britax car seats, and the sunshine kids car seats, but they're SO expensive..do they last, pros and cons to them? i'm not doing a carrier with our next one, i've already decided that..they drive me insane.

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 6:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I like Britax and they have a very good reputation.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have 2 of the Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL's they are terrific for extended rear facing, they rear face to 45lbs. My 2 and 4 year olds are still rear facing in them. They are large seats and do not always fit smaller cars well. They are steal framed so it can be dangerous for the driver or passenger to have the seats braced against the front seats. The Myride is also a great seat. It rear faces until 40lbs and fits most cars well. The safety first complete air is another great one that rear faces until 40lbs. How old is your dd and what is her height and weight? The best car seat is one that fits your child and your vehicle well and is installed and used properly everytime.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think that any of the convertible with the higher limits would be a good choice.
    We own a Radian XTSL and it rear faces to 45 lbs and forward to 80 lbs. I'm not sure how it fits a newborn though, we got ours when my son was over a year. But it does come with infant padding. This seat is nice because it not only lasts a LOOOONG time it also has a longer expiration date than other seats on the market. So even though it's almost $300 compare it to getting multiple seats during the first few years, it's not so bad.
    We also have MyRide 65... it rear faces to 40 lbs and forward to 65 lbs.... and it's a much better price! We got ours for $115. This seat I do know fits a new born very well, so it would be a good choice.
    From what I know of the Britax convertibles, they don't fit newborns very well... I think most babies are several months old before they fit, so probably not a good choice.
    Cont...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I recommend a MyRide or a TrueFit, I have both and we love them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• well, dd is 2, and 28 lbs...but i drive a jeep cherokee, so size isn't really an issue....i just want a good car seat..i knew barely anything when we had our dd, so i want to do my research before we have another one.
    mom_to_kenzie

Comment by mom_to_kenzie (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• another good choice would be the First Years True Fit.... it rear faces to 35, forward to 65 and fits little ones well.
    I personally like our MyRide the best.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• For your 2 year old, if she is forward facing I would look into the Britax Frontier or the Graco Nautilus....
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You should also check out the car seat safety group. There are several car seat safety techs on there and they are extremely helpful. http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I recommend that you join the car seat safety group and get some recommendations from a tech.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010