Can your kids open a bag of chips?

I know I'll get a lot of responses saying, "I don't give my kids that crap," or "why would you let your 4yo have that?"

Not what I'm asking. My 4yo was having a bag of pretzels the other day and was trying to open them. I offered to help her and she said she could do it and was really tugging on the bag and I told her she was going to pull too hard and they were going to explode all over the place. 2 seconds later I hear the bag pop open and she had this smug look on her face. "See, they didn't explode." And off she went.

She absolutely cracks me up. And those pretzel bags are hard to open compared to the regular chip bags.

For the record: my kids don't eat a lot of junk. We happen to have little bags of pretzels for snacks this month and they can have 1 a day if they behave.
I don't remember when my older kids started opening them on their own--I think after they started school.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 6:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yeah. We'll sometimes have a big bag w/cheeseburgers for dinner and she opens them. She's the little smug smart ass too. The first time When she was almost 3, I told her to let me know if she needs help, that if she pulls to hard the bag will break and they will go everywhere. She just looked at me like I had grown another head and said "I'm not 1 mom, I can open a bag". Ten minutes later, after a lot of grunting, she got it opened and came running to me "look, I opened it, I didn't break it. I was right mom!" Then, she fell, and they went everywhere. :-)
    I'm always telling her she's a goose. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My daughter is 2.5 and she can open bags.But she is my one child who can open anything, get into anything, climb on top of anything...well you get the idea. My son just turned 5 and he can, but I know he couldn't when he was my daughters age.
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• How can you feed your kid that stuff!!!!!!

Just kidding. No my kid can't open a bag of chips, but then I have trouble with them, lol. Good for your daughter. :)
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 6:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She's been doing it for awhile but it was the first time with the pretzel bags because they are made of thicker stuff and tougher glue or something.  She just really cracked me up with her smug look, like I didn't know what I was talking about.

My older kids still ask me to open theirs half the time and I'm like, "but your little sister can do it."

justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We eat very healthy but do buy potato chips and pretzels at times. My son can open them but every once in a while he will rip the bag down the side.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my kids say the same thing to me. NO MOM I can do it my self, and there have been times they went everywhere.. I really don't care who knows I have chips in the house. I have vegs also. I have ice cream, We eat lots of lettuce, and vegs little meat. So what if kids have some chips as long as they don;t have them everyday. I had to get that out sorry
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• They can, but not always neatly. One of them can open the bag neatly every time, but then he dumps them on the floor to eat them.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Great stories.  Probably the funniest thing about the chips is I've done the splooey and they go everywhere thing right in front of my daughter.  It was awhile ago but I wasn't paying attention and the bag was giving me issues.  So I gave it a yank and it decided then to come undone...right down the back and the chips went everywhere.  The kids thought it was hilarious and got to eat my chips off the floor.

My 4yo can also do her own juice boxes (since she was almost 3 which she is very proud of), open those cheese/breadstick containers (usually), and just figured out how to open cheese sticks although she still needs help sometimes.  And the big one: she is the only one to figure out how to close a freaking bag of bread the right way.  My 7, 8 and 10 yos can't.

justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2010