IM SO SCARED!!!

i feel like im driving my son to be a lazy and messy person just like me! i really want to change and to be a clean and motivated person but im just not and nothing i have done so far has helped that. what can i do to motivate myself so my son has a better role model?

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Small steps. You can't change in a day. Just try to set small goals for yourself for each day, and then work up to having more energy and motivation. I struggle with this as well, especially during the summer when it is so hot.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• maybe he could practice by cleaning my place :)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Just think about those messy houses with bugs crawling all over them and mold. And think about how sick you could make your child if you do not clean your house. That motivates me.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Try making a schedule for yourself...start off small and add things as you get more comfortable with it. Then at the end of the week, if you got everything done that needed done, reward yourself! It will keep you motivated, and help you keep order in your life.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with KTMOM. I usually just break it down to one or two rooms per day or a chore or two per day if rooms are clean. Like today, you could clean the living room and kitchen. Tomorrow do the bathrooms. Then the next day do the bedrooms and so forth. When you break it down it doesn't seem so overwhelming.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• you should set urself small weekly goals. my son gets a star sticker if he helps me clean up(mainly his room) and if he gets 7 stars he gets a reward of his choice-within reason.
    by the way u didnt say how old ur son was but mine is 3 and 1/2
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Get the Fly Lady book. it will definitely help!!! But remember, you can't all of a sudden decide it is all going to change in one day. Take small steps lik ktmom said and just do it that way and before you know it you'll be a lot better!
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 6:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree small steps. I used to sing songs or play music when it was clean up time. We'd sing along to the song while we picked up toys or put away our supplies. Kids love music! Try using a chore chart and give gold stars for every time he does a chore. Give yourself one too, he'll love competing with mommy and whoever gets the most stars at the end of the week gets an ice cream cone or something else special.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Try something that may help you to get motivated to clean. For me I put on HGTV on television, seeing the different ideas and beautiful homes inspires me to want to do things around the house. Take one room at a time. You will feel better if you accomplish something seeing how nice it looks afterwards. As for your son not sure of his age but maybe make a chart with little things he can help you with. Even if it is making the bed, or putting away toys. Showing him how nice things can look and have a proper place. Then if he helps spend some quality time together doing something he likes. The good thing is you are wanting to take the steps to make a change and you can do this. He will learn from you...
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my son is 4 years and 1 month old lol so he just turned it. thanks for the advice and i will take it slow. i will also take my iron cause thats part of my problem.
    mommy06and09

Comment by mommy06and09 (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2010