shrieking babies

my ears are ringing, my head is pounding, and the screaming continues.... my pre-schooler has even taken to it. she thinks its funny to scream and shriek with him.... only difference is she gets to follow me around the house and do it.

he's doing it out of boredom, amusement, nothing health related.... it's supposed to be a phase, but it's been going on for months now... what should i do? i need this to stop, i can't do this every day. i've gone out and bought a big bottle of excedrin, and i don't think it'll last if he keeps it up. i'm ready to shove a pen in my ear to get the ringing to stop.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

nuklear

Asked by nuklear at 6:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yeah, my two do the SAME thing. 3 year old and 1 year old. 3 year old never did it as a baby but now thinks it's the greatest game ever with her little sister. I feel ya momma!

Wish I had some advice other than earplugs and a playroom.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• ear plugs all the way and a glass (or bottle ) of wine at night!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Your 3 year old is old enough to understand that it's NOT okay. You can send her to her room, or put her in timeout. I have a back deck with a gate at the top of the stairs - when my kids want to scream I tell them they have to go outside (not a baby obviously, but the 3 year old would be fine as long as you watch her - on occasion my 20 month old goes out there while I sit inside and watch him) The baby: not a whole lot you can do.

Answer by missanc at 11:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Join in! When my 3 y/o starts to shreak, I try to mimic him in tone and he thinks I'm crazy and stops! LOL!

I agree with missanc, that the 3 y/o needs to know that's how babies talk, but she's a big girl & needs to use her words. (I did a lengthy reply about her speech being delayed on your other question. Hope it helps.)

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• the speech delay has alot to do with little friends.. she doesn't have anyone to talk to besides mom, and who wants to talk to boring old mom? she talks so much more clearly and so much better when she's around other kids, but to get out and about where we live is easier said than done. i've been watching kids for free just to get her to interact with kids her age... it's been a nightmare, but she's improving.... and when she gets older, it's just another thing on the VERY long list of things we do for our children... the highest ranking one still to this day is walking her in 104 degree heat 3 miles to get her to the doctor because i thought she had an ear infection... turns out she had thrush.... and then BACK 3 miles in 104 degree heat... 6 miles. no car. walking. with stroller. she got the ice packs...
    i survived and get to rub her nose in it later, because i'm a sucker for guilt trips, lol
    nuklear

Comment by nuklear (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2010