SO and I are seperating our finances -

How do we decided about food expenses. We spend about $200 a month on food. Its just me, him and my 4 yr old. (DD is NOT his) but my DD and I are not home during the day, I am only there for dinner except on the weekends. He eats more meals at home then my DD and I combined (but he doesn't think so) - So do we split food cost 50/50 or should I pay more since I have a 4yr old...? He thinks i should pay 2/3 of it.

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 6:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would say 50/50 if he eats the majority of it
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i would say 50/50. there are 2 of you but he eats more.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Why are you separating your finances so detailedly? Maybe you should consider buy your own food and him buying his own food?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I second the "buy your own food and him buying his own food"
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think to properly separate your finances, you should have a joint account which is STRICTLY for paying the bills--mortgage/rent, utilities, cell phone, and stuff for your home, including groceries! Everything that is left over, could go into separate accounts in your names to do with as you please.

If you're going to make a relationship healthy and work, you cannot treat each other like you're roommates!!! Dividing expenses down to the penny is not how relationships work--that's immature and selfish.

A FORMER sister in law of mine went through the same thing--she and her now ex husband, put their NAMES on THEIR food and drinks--and they were not to be touched by anyone else! They also only did their own laundry--wouldn't wash the other person's clothes, and recorded mileage when one or the other did errands in their car--so they could calculate how much gas they used!! I certainly wasn't surprised when they split up!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• 50/50 at most because no way does a four year old eat another 1/3 of the groceries.  If you feel like it add a few extras dollars a month to your portion.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• 50/50 thats what we do..and GOD Bless b/v my grocieris are 3 times that a month
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It seems so extreme. I would just do 50/50.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010