food to take to new mom?

So my neighbor/friend is having a baby in the next couple of weeks. I want to take some food over to her. What would you like, if you were just coming home with a new baby, one toddler already?

Hazelnutkin

Asked by Hazelnutkin at 7:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fruit salad!!! I made a bunch of meat/entrees that could be thrown in the oven and crock pot but I totally craved fresh fruit and veggies! Especially with a toddler, I would probably cut up some carrots, cucumbers, melon and other simple things, seal them up and bring them over.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 7:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Comfort foods and nothing spicy if she is going to breastfeed. A friend brought me meatball soup with a loaf of fresh bread after my ds was born. It really hit the spot.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 7:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• something I can just thro into the oven or heat fast. one dish meals...but with a toddler, you could do a fruit mix, just cut fresh fruit and put them in baggies, so she can just open as needed, toddler friendly snacks would be awesome so she can just hand them out, or heat really quick. that would be my main thing if I were her, making sure my toddler had special stuff and then it gives her a break too. how thoughtful of you!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• baked spaghetti is easy to either freeze or bake. A chicken and noodle casserole. I like the fresh vegetable and fruit idea, too.

Answer by Bmat at 7:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Once, I made a big batch of homemade muffins my friend who just had a baby. I brought it to the hospital, so she would have a healthy snack for herself, dh or her older children when they came to visit her. She really liked it. She said that she even had some left over to give her older children for breakfast when she came home from the hospital.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 7:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It may be kind of hot for this but how about a pot of chicken noodle soup and a loaf of fresh bread?

I really like the suggestion by mybratsmom too!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Nothing she would have to slave over the stove to reheat.
    Just_Us_Friends

Answer by Just_Us_Friends at 7:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Casseroles that you can throw in the freezer until you are ready to eat it are great. You put them in one of those disposable, aluminum baking dishes, wrap them up numerous times in plastic wrap, and include an index card with the baking directions. Then when she needs them, she has them available and handy. I loved those kind of dishes after my dd was born. It helped A LOT!
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• you could also put together a dessert basket. icecreme toppings, cute dessert cups, all but the frozen stuff, with a gift certificate to someplace to pick up a quart of her fave flavor. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't want a casserole that I had to reheat - I generally make some of those myself before my baby is born. I would prefer either a hot meal, or a lunch tray with meats, cheeses, and some good rolls that I could grab quick when hungry.

Answer by missanc at 10:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010