random acts of kindness?

We were going out for lunch today and as we walked in my son (almost 9) held the outside door open for his little sister. My older 2 girls walked in front of me and just let it slam shut so I was lecturing them about how they should hold it open since they were the first ones in. My son was going through the 2nd door and held for his little sister again and for the lady that was leaving the restaurant.
I've always told him it's polite to hold the door, especially since he's the boy and to always hold it for other people if they are coming in or out while he is (especially for little old ladies and women with small children/strollers).
Well, he's holding the door and the old lady was going out and gave him $5 (with my permission) for being such a sweet, helpful young man. He was shocked and his sister was mad.
I let him spend it at Toys R Us.
Anyone have some random act of kindness happen to them?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 7:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I like to give them. My favorite thing to do is to chat with the person behind me inline at the coffee shop about what we like to drink, then order theirs to and pay for it. You should see how people smile.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My favorite thing to do is when I am on the tollway I pay for the car behind me with a message of"hope your day is wonderful"....I have had people flag me down miles later, waving and smiling ty. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I often offer my place in line at the grocery shop when there is a big crowd, and many times have completed money owed the cashier for someone else. Those random acts of kindness make my day and hopefully theirs too.

Answer by older at 7:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have had folks hold the door for me, or just some kind words offered that made all the difference on a particular day. Once at the doctor's office my daughter's speech therapist couldn't get insurance approval, but said he would see her that day whether he got paid for it or not. Then another time I took my daughter to my doctor to get a second opinion when her new pediatrician gave her five prescriptions for NOTHING, and he saw her and then said "no charge" KINDNESS is awesome!
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 7:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Many years ago, my husband and I had a stranger show up at our door. We were a little nervous about opening the door because we weren't living in the best neighborhood at the time, and it was kind of late in the evening. Turns out that earlier that day, my husband had stopped for gas at QuikTrip and must have dropped his paycheck. This guy found it, and came to the address listed on the check to return it to us. It was very cool and very unexpected. I'm not sure he could have cashed it or anything anyway, but I still think a lot of people would have just left it there or thrown it in the trash or something.
    As for me, I always try to do small considerate things for people, like letting people in front of me in traffic, holding doors open for everyone, giving extra big tips for good service at restaurants, letting someone w/ a small amount of groceries go ahead of me in line, etc.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When I was 15,my mom,6 months pregnant aunt,my 3 yr old cousin,and I were traveling from Washington state to Wisconsin by greyhound. Our mothers ran out of money and we were not going to be able to eat and we still had over 12 hrs to travel. A kindly gentlman overheard our dilemma and took us to the diner to eat. He slipped away for a few minutes and came back with a grocery sack full of non perishables for us and gave both our moms $20! They tried to get his address to repay him,but he declined and just wished us a safe journey!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Years ago I was driving home from school - Ft. Lauderdale to Greenville, SC. I was about 3 hours into the 12 hour trip when my car broke down. I was stranded on the side of 95. Didn't know anyone or even where I was. A nice man pulled up and (so as not to scare me I think) stayed in his car and yelled to me that he was calling a tow truck for me then he left. I never saw him again - and when I asked the tow truck driver how much - he said the man who called paid for it! I was floored and so very happy. Completely made my day better!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• A friend of our family's helped us move into our current home, and we needed to rent some storage space for the stuff that wouldn't fit in the house. Well, our friend went over to a storage facility just half a block away from the house and rented a storage unit for us for 6 months, because we had used all the money we had for the initial move. Needless to say, we offered to repay him, but he refused. He said the best way to repay him was to do a random act of kindness for someone else. I work at a hotel, so every day I try to pass his kindness along by helping my guests and coworkers.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I was part of paying it forward at a Starbuck's in Tucson. It was on the news, it lasted for 15 hours. I had that happy feeling for quite awhile.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• DS1 is very polite, all "please, thank you yes/no ma'am/sir" etc. He holds doors for me and for strangers, and the other day at the grocery store he wanted to put the buggy in the cart return by himself (such a big boy) so I let him (it was right across the lane from my car, so he was only a few steps away) and while he was there, he grabbed 2 stray carts that had been just left there, and then an older lady was pushing hers towards the return, he ran over and said "May I take this for you, ma'am?" and she just looked at him like he had 2 heads... when she realized that he was being polite and helpful, she said "Of course, thank you young man" and then went on to tell me what a great job I've done with my son! I can only hope his brothers are as polite as he is!!!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2010