Have you ever thought of being a foster parent?

My husband and I have three children that we adopted internationally. I love kids and am so blessed to be their mother. We would like to expand our family by adoption again, but this time through the US Foster Care System. I know that it is a rough road. Have any of you had any experiences with fostering (either to adopt or just to be a foster parent) that you would be willing to share?

mommyheymommy

Asked by mommyheymommy at 8:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I personally have never though of becoming a foster parent. I have thought about adopting a child, even though I am physcially able to have more children of my own. I think there is a certain brand of people that are strong enough to be foster parents. You have to be emotionally level-headed and very patient and understanding. I don't know if I am all those things. Plus I would hate to fall in love with a child to have them taken away from me after however long. I think if you feel you want to do it, its a great thing. A hard thing, but great.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We are going to become foster parents when our children are older only because foster children can be rough (don't want foster babies.) I think we will probably start looking into it in about 10 years. Good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We started out with FC in order to adopt. We didn't want to foster originally, but changed our minds during the training, because we learned that it allowed us to be bonding with a much younger child (which we wanted) during the case, & IF the parents' rights were terminated that we'd be first considered to adopt. It is hard to see a child leave your home, but in our case, they went to a better home environment after the parents received help. We did adopt our 2nd placement who was 6 months old when he came to us. He was 2-1/2 when the adoption was finalized.

Some people say (and I did, too) "I can't, it's too hard to let them go....", but I've learned that it's the very parents who will hurt over a child's leaving that need to be nurturing the children while in care. If not, it's the ones who "distance themselves" or "protect themselves" that can keep a child from feeling the love they so desperately need. GL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I thought about it, but kids go from foster home to foster home frequently. I couldn't stand getting attached and then the child moving homes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We have thought about it, but not until our children are much older.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We did seriously look into it recently. My husband is very firm that he is not willing to take in an older child. His big concern is that they might hurt our small children. My concern is that I don't think I could fit in all of the appointments and visits since I have one more full-time semester in nursing school, then I'll be starting a new job. I would be willing when our kids are older, but he probably won't be willing because of our age.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yes. My husband and I have talked about it quite a long. We want to have one more biological child and after they are in middle or high school, we are thinking about being a foster parent. It's something I've always wanted to do.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2010